Disable menu item

Let us know what you would like to see in the next version of Easy Button & Menu Maker

Disable menu item

Postby ddrury » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:31 pm

Hi,

The ability to 'disable' a menu item. i.e. grey out the menu text and take no action would be welcome.

Dave
ddrury

Postby Aivars » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:47 pm

This is an interesting idea. If EBMM had menu item disabling, how are you planning to use it in your page(s)?

Your answer would help us to understand better how to implement it and what exactly is necessary.
Aivars
Blumentals Software Developer

Postby ddrury » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:18 am

Hi,

Apologies for delay in replying.

An example may help. I have a menu (called Actions) that details things the user may do for the current page (bookmark it, print it etc.) but for some pages an action may be inappropriate so even if the user clicks on that menu item nothing should happen.

To indicate that that item is disabled I "grey out" the text.

It's not for me to tell you how to implement this but I guess the obvious answer is to have an additional parameter per menu item that can be set or unset as appropriate.

Dave
ddrury

Re: Disable menu item

Postby SilverHand » Thu May 29, 2008 10:42 am

I think that it is better to disable the item by PHP code while preparing the page.
I remade the SCRIPTS suplemented by MENU maker to include option with -1, 0, 1 state and when prpearing menu items by PHP on basis of rights and others possibilities I put these option to every menu item and/or button. -1 means for me DONT DISPLAY, 0 DISPLAY BUT DISABLED, 1 ENABLED and WORKING.
But do not forget in any case that you must to check when entering the HREF given by menu command, if user is supposed to neter this link. Becouse only menu disabeling doesnt means that user cant enter the link manually in address box!

I think good idea is to put into MENU maker some option for menu/button state adn this state will be handled by PHP code whle preparing page with menu.

With regards Tomas
Cya Silver

Every problem has its solution! But sometimes we can't find it!
PC info: Core 2 Extreme 3Ghz, 8Gb DDR 3, System HDD: RAID 0 - 2x raptor 150, Vista Ultimate 64bit
SilverHand

Re: Disable menu item

Postby olivergray » Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:04 am

ddrury wrote:Hi,

The ability to 'disable' a menu item. i.e. grey out the menu text and take no action would be welcome.mapquest directions

Dave

If I understand this problem correctly, your problem is that you want a button to run a method that executes an UPDATE query, which means the problem is HTML based, correct?
olivergray

Return to Easy Button & Menu Maker Feature Requests