<NOSCRIPT> support

Let us know what you would like to see in the next version of Easy Button & Menu Maker

<NOSCRIPT> support

Postby robbullington » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:48 pm

I recently purchased Easy Button and Menu Maker for use in the design of my company's new website and am overall quite satisfied. However, I do notice that sub-menus created under the current implementation will not work in browsers that do not support Javascript. Interestingly, the Blazer and Opera Mini browsers on my Treo 700p don't support the pulldowns even when javascript *is* turned on. My temporary fix has been to put all of my navigation links in a simple <UL> and enclose it between <NOSCRIPT> tags. It would be nice if Easy Button had an option to generate the alternate <NOSCRIPT> version automatically. I see this as a major issue for developers concerned with creating accessible and mobile-compatible websites.
robbullington

Postby Aivars » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:07 pm

The problem is that <ul> right below menu might break some of the website designs. Some web developers might find statically displayed submenu items above or below menu buttons plain ugly and decide that it's better that only buttons are displayed, as it is now.
This problem is not straightforward and brilliant suggestions are welcome :)
Aivars
Blumentals Software Developer

<NOSCRIPT> support

Postby robbullington » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:28 pm

Thanks for the quick reply! This may already be apparent, but two points are worth noting:

1) The suggested feature could be optional, so developers concerned about the possibility of a <UL> (or something prettier that works without javascript) below the buttons could simply leave the feature turned off.

2) Anything placed between <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT> will not display at all on a browser with javascript enabled. My site is an example: http://www.frsprod.com

The chief concern here is that sites which require a mouseover to function are fine for the vast majority of users, but it can present real problems to some small but important groups. In particular, sight-impaired users may have a reading device that doesn't deal well with mouseover-activated constructs.
robbullington

Return to Easy Button & Menu Maker Feature Requests