Margin control

Let us know what you would like to see in the next version of Easy Button & Menu Maker

Margin control

Postby Andrew » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:23 pm

Before I make my request, I want to compliment you on your software. I've found it very helpful. I'm especially impressed with the way it renders fonts. The type looks much better than what I can get in Photoshop.

But I'd like to make a request. I'm a little frustrated with the lack of controls for positioning text, and auto-setting the size of the button in relation to text. So here is my request. And I apologize in advance for my dry wording of the request. I can't think of a better way to explain it.

Here's my feature request:

The user would have the ability to control height and width of buttons via margin settings. The margins would be set in pixels. The margin would be the distance between the font and the edge of the button. The user would have four settings: left, right, top, bottom. In other words, the margins could all have different settings.

This would allow the user greater control over where text is positioned on the button, provide a consistent look to the buttons, while also allowing buttons to change according to the length or height of text in the button. And it could be applied as a batch operation on all buttons, with the result being a consistent look.

Additionally, the user would have two overrides on this feature. The first would override left and right margin settings, and instead would use the user controlled width setting that is already provided in the program. The second would override top and bottom margin settings and instead would use the user-controlled height setting that is already provided in the program.

This would allow the user force a common height or width on buttons, while still allowing margins to control the other.

I'm thinking it would also be possible to have four overrides. So, for example, this would allow the user to have a consistent margin on one side of the button, while also allowing buttons to have uniform width. But I'm not sure if this is overdoing it. Or if it's a programming complication. So I'm putting it as optional for my request.

Thoughts?
Andrew

Re: Margin control

Postby Aivars » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:15 pm

I think this is a good idea and if we can figure out a way to add it without making UI heavy and scary, I don't see a reason not to. My first impulse would be to allow moving the text around the button with a mouse, but you're right, setting margins numerically would allow for consistency across all buttons.
I do think that adding settings for all buttons and overrides for individual buttons is overdoing it, especially because users could set overrides accidentally and be frustrated when global margin settings do nothing. Anyway, since you can select multiple buttons and then set the settings, global settings are probably not necessary.
I'm adding this to the list.
Blumentals Software Programmer
Aivars
Blumentals Software Developer

Return to Easy Button & Menu Maker Feature Requests