Plugin: Gulp Taskrunner v1.01 (req. 2018+ version)

Browse, download and discuss plugins for Blumentals code editors

Plugin: Gulp Taskrunner v1.01 (req. 2018+ version)

Postby pmk65 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:18 pm

WeBuilder Plugin: Gulp Taskrunner v1.01
(Requires 2018 version of editor)

Allows you to run Gulp tasks directly from within the editor.
Plugin creates a new docking panel with various options to run Gulp tasks.

Gulp is a toolkit for automating painful or time-consuming tasks in your development workflow, so you can stop messing around and build something.

Here's a small example of what the plugin can do.

• Compile Sass/Less styles instantly.
  • Minify CSS & JavaScript.
  • Optimize Images.
  • Browser Livereload.

The possibilities are endless, as there's 1000+ gulp modules available (and you can write your own too)

Since I couldn't find anyone to help betatest this plugin, the following is missing:
- Documentation. You'll have to figure out how to use the plugin yourself. (Hint: There's several context menus.)
- Plugin dependency check. Again you'll have to figure out what is required by yourself.
- Default gulpfile.js - I haven't bothered optimizing this or make different setups.
- Horizontal layout. Plugin panel currently only supports vertical layout.

Usage:
1) Make sure "gulp-cli is installed globally. (npm install gulp-cli -g)
2) Click the "Copy Defaults" if 1st run (Or create your own gulpfile.js), then click "Install Dependencies". "npm install" will appear in the running tasks window.
3) Once it's finished, "npm install" will disappear again. and the tasklist should be visible.
4) Select the task you want to run from "Gulp Tasks" and then click the "Execute Task" button.

(You can use sites like http://quenchjs.com/ to create gulpfile.js and package.json files or create them manually.)

History:
v1.0
- First version released

v1.01
- Fixed problem with defaults not being copied due to wrong defaults path.
- Fixed problem with missing slash in gulpfile path after copying defaults.
- Fixed problems with paths containing spaces.
Thanks to Aivars for reporting these.
- Added updated defaults gulpfile.js and package.json.

Installation:
1) Download plugin .ZIP file.
2) Open WeBuilder and select "Plugins -> Manage Plugins" from the menu.
3) Click "Install" and select the .ZIP file you downloaded in step 1.

Feedback appreciated. ;)
(I only use WeBuilder, so I haven't tested if it works in HTMLPad, Rapid CSS or Rapid PHP.)
Attachments
Gulp Taskrunner.zip
Gulp Taskrunner v1.01
(79.61 KiB) Downloaded 801 times
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
pmk65

Re: Plugin: Gulp Taskrunner v1.0 (req. 2018 version)

Postby midipixel » Thu May 03, 2018 6:40 pm

Thanks for this plugin, pmk65! I never really used Gulp, since some of the functions I need (minification, live reload, etc.) are usually available through frameworks, static site generators, simple npm tasks or even Webuilder itself. I also use Prepros a lot, which I remember you recommending in the past.

Having said that, the fact that there's a WB plugin now encourages me to tinker with Gulp a bit. So, thank you again!

I find it really cool that you stick to making Webuilder plugins when most developers would just rather work with Elektron based editors. Even though I find these editors interesting, since they're coded with JS, I've been using HTML Pad for almost a decade and I'm really comfortable with its speed and workflow, so I'm thankful for those who are keeping this small ecosystem alive. :wink:
midipixel

Postby pmk65 » Mon May 07, 2018 3:46 pm

midipixel wrote:Thanks for this plugin, pmk65! I never really used Gulp, since some of the functions I need (minification, live reload, etc.) are usually available through frameworks, static site generators, simple npm tasks or even Webuilder itself. I also use Prepros a lot, which I remember you recommending in the past.

Having said that, the fact that there's a WB plugin now encourages me to tinker with Gulp a bit. So, thank you again!

I find it really cool that you stick to making Webuilder plugins when most developers would just rather work with Elektron based editors. Even though I find these editors interesting, since they're coded with JS, I've been using HTML Pad for almost a decade and I'm really comfortable with its speed and workflow, so I'm thankful for those who are keeping this small ecosystem alive. :wink:

You can actually run any command you want from the plugin. If you click the arrow on the "Run Task" button, a prompt comes up where you can enter Shell command. Shell output will then be displayed in the plugins output window. So you can run npm tasks too. ;)

I just hate all the clutter of windows having to stay open, like Gulp Watch tasks. So with the plugin all that runs in the background and you have quick access to all the gulp tasks available in the current gulpfile.js without having to open Shell windows.

I have been using WeBuilder for a very long time too, and Im too old to switch to a new IDE :D
Tried PHPStorm, Eclipse and Sublime Text. All tree had a lot of features I miss in WeBuilder (That's what Im trying to "fix" by making plugins ;)), but in the end I didn't like working with them and went back to WeBuilder.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
pmk65

Postby midipixel » Wed May 16, 2018 10:01 pm

pmk65 wrote:You can actually run any command you want from the plugin. If you click the arrow on the "Run Task" button, a prompt comes up where you can enter Shell command. Shell output will then be displayed in the plugins output window. So you can run npm tasks too. ;)

Oooooh! Tasty!!! That's great, since Webuilder's integrated way of calling shell commands needs much improvement.

pmk65 wrote:I just hate all the clutter of windows having to stay open, like Gulp Watch tasks. So with the plugin all that runs in the background and you have quick access to all the gulp tasks available in the current gulpfile.js without having to open Shell windows.

Same here! I'm not a huge fan of lots of windows opened due to running tasks.

pmk65 wrote:I have been using WeBuilder for a very long time too, and Im too old to switch to a new IDE :D
Tried PHPStorm, Eclipse and Sublime Text. All tree had a lot of features I miss in WeBuilder (That's what Im trying to "fix" by making plugins ;)), but in the end I didn't like working with them and went back to WeBuilder.

Same here. I recently developed a more complex JS app in Brackets and the autocomplete was really useful, as were some of the plugins. But these Elektron editors feel sluggish if you don't own a beefy machine, and WeBuilder solves 90% of my needs, so thank you again for helping to solve the other 10%! Perhaps I'll try and make some plugins myself sometime!
midipixel

Re: Plugin: Gulp Taskrunner v1.01 (req. 2018 version)

Postby pety » Sat May 26, 2018 11:29 am

Any youtube examples?
Thanks !
pety

Postby pmk65 » Sat May 26, 2018 8:33 pm

pety wrote:Any youtube examples?
Thanks !

There's this one I made using an older version of the plugin.

Also I added a (very simple) "Usage" section to the initial post.
pmk65

Postby pety » Sun May 27, 2018 8:16 pm

That's amazing !
Your plugins enormously raised up Webuilder.
pety

Postby pety » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:37 pm

Does GULP transpile javascript 6 to javascript 5 ? I'm new to this topic.
pety

Postby pmk65 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:26 pm

pety wrote:Does GULP transpile javascript 6 to javascript 5 ? I'm new to this topic.

Gulp is just a *dumb* taskrunner. :D
It's up to you to configure it to your task. Luckily there's a lot of people using Gulp, so you can use their modules (or extend them to your own needs.)

For transpiling ES6 to ES5, there's several Gulp modules available. Gulp-Babel is probably the most used.

https://www.npmjs.com/package/gulp-babel
https://natacseanc.wordpress.com/2015/1 ... ith-babel/
http://www.codeblocq.com/2016/03/Setup- ... 2015-code/

You just install the Gulp module as described, and modify your gulpfile.js to use the new module. (there's some examples in the last 2 links)
pmk65

Postby pety » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:23 am

WOW ! This is awesome, thanks a lot.
pety

Postby pmk65 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:29 am

There's also a module available for Lebab (transpiles your ES5 code to ES6/ES7)
https://www.npmjs.com/package/gulp-lebab
pmk65

Postby pety » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:16 pm

GREAT !
I still have Webuilder on D:\ partition.
Does Gulp Taskrunner initiate from that location?
pety

Postby pmk65 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:26 pm

pety wrote:GREAT !
I still have Webuilder on D:\ partition.
Does Gulp Taskrunner initiate from that location?

Dunno. I haven't tried.
But if you see the message "Socket connection opened" in the Shell Output window of the panel, it should be working.
pmk65

Return to Plugins for HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder