WeBuilder 2006 - Convert Special Chars

Post your questions and problem reports here

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please try to follow these guidelines. This will help to receive faster and more accurate response.

• Check the Support section of the corresponding product first. Chances are you will find your answer there;
  • Do not create new topics for already reported problems. Add your comments to the existing topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each problem request. Do NOT post a number of non-related problem reports in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Titles such as "A question," "Bug report" and "Help!" provide others no clue what your message is about;
  • Include the version number of the software you are using;
  • This is not an official customer support helpdesk. If you need a prompt and official response, please contact our support team directly instead. It may take a while until you receive a reply in the forum;

WeBuilder 2006 - Convert Special Chars

Postby prodport » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:18 am

How exactly does the item "Convert Special Chars" on the Edit menu work?

I looked both on this forum and the help, but only saw one reference and that mentioned a dialog you could invoke using ctrl+alt+s. That combo only invokes a pop up box for Compaq users with their serial number and product ID.

I thought I could highlight text and choose this menu option and my "apostrophes", "quotes" or whatever would be converted to the entity name or number. That didn't work.

Thanks.
prodport

Postby Karlis » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:06 pm

To use this feature, you must select text containing special characters and then click Special Chars to Entities (Entities to special Chars will to it other way).

Obviously ctrl+alt+s does the wrong thing because your computer is configured that way. Some other application has overruled this key combination, so you may want to switch it to something else.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby prodport » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:52 am

It looks like this only works if I inserted the special charatcher using the toolbar button. It doesn't work for me on typed or pasted text. I tried the following lines

This is a test for O'Leonard
This is a "test"

None of these would convert if I hightlighted the single line and then used the option from the Edit menu. It also didn't work if I just highlighted the character(s) :(

I was hoping there was a global conversion that I could apply against selected text. I have stories that are pulled from Microsoft Word and the formatting is removed with another tool. One of the last steps is for me to replace all the apostrophe's, quotes and so on. It looks like I need to do a Search and Replace on each of these.
prodport

Postby Karlis » Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:25 pm

This is a "test"

The above text does not contain any special characters, quotes are not considered as special characters but rather as normal text.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Support