Pro 2004: prevent tidy from changing “ -> &quo

Post your questions and problem reports here

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please try to follow these guidelines. This will help to receive faster and more accurate response.

• Check the Support section of the corresponding product first. Chances are you will find your answer there;
  • Do not create new topics for already reported problems. Add your comments to the existing topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each problem request. Do NOT post a number of non-related problem reports in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Titles such as "A question," "Bug report" and "Help!" provide others no clue what your message is about;
  • Include the version number of the software you are using;
  • This is not an official customer support helpdesk. If you need a prompt and official response, please contact our support team directly instead. It may take a while until you receive a reply in the forum;

Pro 2004: prevent tidy from changing “ -> &quo

Postby Bud » Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:05 pm

I often use “ and ” for open and close quotes, respectively. When I invoke tidy, these are changed to simple quotes ( " ).

What setting do I need to change in tidy to have these left alone? I tried switching "quote-marks" on and off, but that doesn't work.

Thanks
Bud

Postby Karlis » Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:02 pm

Actually I do not know, probably this is not possible at all. Tidy is a third party software (open source). I did not find anything on this in Tidy public docummentation.

Probably someone knows more about this?
Karlis
Site Admin

Didn't have this problem before

Postby Bud » Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:27 am

In the previous version of HTMLPad, it would change “ to &ldquot;. Bad enough, but I could use search/replace to clean up before I uploaded. Now both “ and ” turns to regular quote ("), so there's no way to do a search/replace. :(

If you say it is something on Tidy, then I'll see if I can find out what the deal is and post it here.

Thanks.
Bud

Postby Karlis » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:31 am

I am not very sure, but probably something can be done with Tidy options, to make it work at least like previous Tidy version. HTMLPad 2004 uses the latest Tidy.

If you find something out, please post it here.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Tidy settings to make well-formed HTML

Postby Bud » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:07 pm

Okay, after spending a while going through all the settings, I found the combo that makes the print look nice, validates well, and avoids the non-standard ” tags.

Turn the following on (all others off)
    break-before-br
    clean
    doctype=auto
    drop-empty-paras
    drop-font-tags
    drop-prorietary-attributes
    enclose-block-text
    enclose-text
    fix-bad-comments
    fix-uri
    indent-cdata
    join-classes
    join-styles
    logical-emphasis
    lower-literals
    ncr
    numeric-entities
    quote-nbsp
    repeated-attributes: keep-last
    word-2000
    indent=auto
    indent-spaces=2
    markup
    tab-size=2
    wrap=75
    wrap-asp
    wrap-jste
    wrap-php
    wrap-sections
    char-encoding=ascii
    output-bom=auto
    fix-backslash
    keep-time
    write-back

Obviously, not all of these have anything to do with the original problem of entites changing from " to " etc, but for those who want nicely-indented, correct html, these settings will do it for you.

Cheers :wink:
Bud

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Support