File Modified

Post your questions and problem reports here

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please try to follow these guidelines. This will help to receive faster and more accurate response.

• Check the Support section of the corresponding product first. Chances are you will find your answer there;
  • Do not create new topics for already reported problems. Add your comments to the existing topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each problem request. Do NOT post a number of non-related problem reports in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Titles such as "A question," "Bug report" and "Help!" provide others no clue what your message is about;
  • Include the version number of the software you are using;
  • This is not an official customer support helpdesk. If you need a prompt and official response, please contact our support team directly instead. It may take a while until you receive a reply in the forum;

File Modified

Postby RW » Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:25 am

When any file is opened ( HTML, ASP, CSS ) if I use the arrow keys and scroll down through the file then the file modified indicator comes on and when I close the file I am prompted to save the changes even though I have made no change to the file. Why does this happen?

Thanks
RW

Postby Karlis » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:35 am

I'm afraid I could not reproduce this behavior.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:06 pm

This continues to happen to me on almost any file I open. Maybe it is something unique to my PC, I don't know. I did an "Open from Web.." and opened your home page http://www.blumentals.net/. Then used the down arrow key to scroll down the file, at line 396 the file modified indicator comes on every time. When I close the file the editor prompts me to save the changes. If I save the file then reopen it and scroll down again the file modified indicator does not come on.

I opened the file from the Web using another editor, scrolled through the file, no problem. I then saved the file to my hard drive then opened it in HTMLPad scrolled down through the file using the down arrow key, at line 396 the file modified indicator comes on.

This is not a major issue, HTMLPad is an Excellent editor and I am enjoying using it and would recommend it to anyone. I am just curious as to why this happens and it is a little annoying.

Thanks,
RW

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:08 pm

This continues to happen to me on almost any file I open. Maybe it is something unique to my PC, I don't know. I did an "Open from Web.." and opened your home page http://www.blumentals.net/. Then used the down arrow key to scroll down the file, at line 396 the file modified indicator comes on every time. When I close the file the editor prompts me to save the changes. If I save the file then reopen it and scroll down again the file modified indicator does not come on.

I opened the file from the Web using another editor, scrolled through the file, no problem. I then saved the file to my hard drive then opened it in HTMLPad scrolled down through the file using the down arrow key, at line 396 the file modified indicator comes on.

This is not a major issue, HTMLPad is an Excellent editor and I am enjoying using it and would recommend it to anyone. I am just curious as to why this happens and it is a little annoying.

Thanks,
RW

Postby Karlis » Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:31 pm

Thanks for your post. I can see now.

If your code contains lines with only spaces (or probably also only tabs - I did not test with tabs yet), then as soon as you remove caret from such line, editor removes these useless spaces.

Lets mark space character as _ and caret as |

Imagine you have this situation:

Code: Select all
<head>
__<title>abc</title>
__<meta...>|
</head>

as soon as you remove any code

<head>
__<title>abc</title>
__|
</head>

and move cursor elsewhere, spaces are removed

<head>
__<title>abc</title>

</head>|

If you have "clean" files with no lines containing just spaces, this won't happen.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Support