Bug Report - HTMLPad 2004 Pro v5.11 and v5.22 contain 3 bugs

Post your questions and problem reports here

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please try to follow these guidelines. This will help to receive faster and more accurate response.

• Check the Support section of the corresponding product first. Chances are you will find your answer there;
  • Do not create new topics for already reported problems. Add your comments to the existing topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each problem request. Do NOT post a number of non-related problem reports in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Titles such as "A question," "Bug report" and "Help!" provide others no clue what your message is about;
  • Include the version number of the software you are using;
  • This is not an official customer support helpdesk. If you need a prompt and official response, please contact our support team directly instead. It may take a while until you receive a reply in the forum;

Bug Report - HTMLPad 2004 Pro v5.11 and v5.22 contain 3 bugs

Postby guest_evaluating_htmlpad » Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:28 pm

When evaluating HTMLPad 2004 Pro I immediately liked it.

Unfortunately I discovered 3 bugs in version 5.11 after just a few minutes of playing around with it.

Today I saw that there was a version v5.22 and eagerly installed it, while thinking that since the 3 bugs are almost automatically discovered the very first time you use the program, they must have been fixed.
But unbelievably they still exist in version 5.22

The bugs are:
(1) drag a tag from markup-browser BUG

When initialting a drag action (left mouse button down on a tag),
And then move up or down immediately after the click,
The selection still changes a few rows up or down.
And then you drag a wrong tag into your document because the selection is now not on the clicked item!

(2) "Shift+Ins" pastes into a wrong (not even active) window.

- Copy some text with CTRL+C
- Press CTRL+F (The find-window pops up)
- Now press SHIFT+INSERT to paste into the "Search for"-combobox
on the popped up Find-window.

=> You see that the text is pasted in the (not even active) underlying main document window, instead of in the active editbox on the find-window.

(3) code completion bug

The code completion just starts en stops working at random.
most of the time (when editting in just 1 document) it just isn't there and doesn't work.

The program is really cool:
Lots of features, but not overbloated and text oriented like a programmer wants. I just can't understand why such bugs could still linger on in the software.

Greetings.
guest_evaluating_htmlpad

Postby RW » Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:34 pm

I have the latest version of HTMLPad and I have been unable to reproduce any of the errors you outlined here. I am running the software on Windows Xp Pro. What version of Windows are you running?
RW

Postby Karlis » Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:10 am

Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately I could not reproduce problems number 1. and 3. Can you, please, describe more detailed steps to reproduce the problems :?:

Speaking about Shift+Ins thing, I would not agree that this is a bug. I would rather call this "an inconvenient behavior". This will be fixed 8) Thank you! At the moment you can use Ctrl+V to paste in Find dialog.

Thanks again! :wink:
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

RE: detailed steps to reproduce the problems

Postby guest_evaluating_htmlpad » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:51 am

Unexpected behaviour (1):
-------------------------
My system:
windows 2000 server sp4
internet explorer 6 sp1

I start HTMLPad Pro 2004 maximized, and with a new HTML-document.
I have the "Markup Browser"-window docked to the left of the HTMLPAd 2004 pro window.
(The contents are scrolled to the top, so I see the tags: a, abbr, acronym, address, applet, area, ...)

The following is an example of how I can drag a tag into the document
with the expected correct results:

- Left click and hold down the mouse button on the "<>applet"-tag row.
-> The applet tag row highlights in dark blue.
- Now move the mouse to the right while letting the mouse pointer not leaving this highlighted row.
-> You see the mouse pointer icon change from the default arrow into a circel with a diagonal divider (meaning you cannot drop here).
So now you initiated and are still dragging the applet tag.
You can now freely mouse the mouse pointer anywhere and drop the applet in the main html-document.
In the html-document the text "<APPLET></APPLET>" appears.

Now the example where the unexpected behaviour takes place:

- Left click and hold down the mouse button on the "<>applet"-tag row.
-> The applet tag row highlights in dark blue, and the mouse pointer is still the white default.

- Now initiate the drag action by moving the mouse pointer down (to the direction of the bottom of the screen).
But don't do it very slow while staying inside the highlighted applet-tag-row,
but do it quick, and for example move the mouse pointer from the applet tag downwards to the "<>big-tag".

-> The mouse pointer icon has changed like in example above from the default white arrow into the "circel with divider-icon".
But here it comes, what has happened???
The applet tag row is not the selected row anymore, but depending upon the speed of mouse movement another tag you move the mouse
over is now selected/highlighted.
If you moved very quick to the "<>big"-tag this one is now selected, if you moved slower some tag-row between the applet-tag
and the big-tag is selected (and locked).

- Now move the mouse pointer over the html-document and drop the thing you dragged into the html document.
And what do we see ???

Yes, the text "<BIG></BIG>" is pasted.
This corresponds to the highlighted dark blue row in the Upper part of the Markup-Browser-window docked to the left.
But I did not initiate the drag action while holding the mouse over the BIG-tag, but over the Applet-tag.

So mostly when you drag a tag diagonal (instead of perfectly horizontal) into the document
you get the wrong tag pasted into the document, namely some tag
somewhere above or below the tag (in the markup browser) you were trying to drag into the document.

Greetings.
guest_evaluating_htmlpad

Postby Karlis » Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:55 am

I got it now. Thanks. We'll take care. :wink:

Thanks again!
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby Karlis » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:34 am

Numbers 1 and 2 have been fixed in version 5.23