Tabs and indenting...

Post your questions and problem reports here

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please try to follow these guidelines. This will help to receive faster and more accurate response.

• Check the Support section of the corresponding product first. Chances are you will find your answer there;
  • Do not create new topics for already reported problems. Add your comments to the existing topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each problem request. Do NOT post a number of non-related problem reports in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Titles such as "A question," "Bug report" and "Help!" provide others no clue what your message is about;
  • Include the version number of the software you are using;
  • This is not an official customer support helpdesk. If you need a prompt and official response, please contact our support team directly instead. It may take a while until you receive a reply in the forum;

Tabs and indenting...

Postby jhemps » Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:51 pm

I've just bought HTMLPad 2004 and although the software is superb, i've got one slight problem / possible enhancement.

I currently (using my previous editor) indent all my code using tabs. Even though i've turned off the 'Convert tabs to spaces' option in the preferences when i do a block indent (highlight lines, hit tab) it puts in spaces not tabs!

If there's already a way to changes the block indenting to use tabs not spaces please let me know, otherwise could you please consider this option as an enharncement.
jhemps

Postby Karlis » Sun Sep 05, 2004 1:43 pm

This feature will be included in the next update.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby jhemps » Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:18 am

That's great...thanks.
:D
Do you know when this next update is due for release?
jhemps

Postby Karlis » Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:54 pm

nope :? but it will be soon (I hope next week)
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby jhemps » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:44 am

Thanks for adding this feature in so quickly. The block indenting now works perfectly, unfortunately the auto indenting (when starting a new line) is still putting in spaces. Please could this be changed to tabs as well? :wink:

Many thanks...and keep up the great work...
jhemps

Postby Karlis » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:49 am

I'll see what can be done about this. Thanks :wink:
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby jhemps » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:40 pm

I've just downloaded the latest version, and the auto indenting when starting a new line is still putting in spaces even though the 'Convert tabs to spaces' is un-checked and 'Use TAB key for indenting' is checked.

I would still like to use tabs for all of my indenting, but am un-able to unless this is changed. Please .... :wink:
jhemps

Postby Karlis » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:16 am

This is not so easy, thus it is not a quick addition. I'll see if this can be included in the first releases of HTMLPad 2005 in March (probably).
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby Feldhege » Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:09 pm

I would like to also ask that a Shift Tab allow the highlighted code to be outdented(?) like in visual studio. What I mean is, you can currently highlight a couple of rows and hit tab to indent them all to the right. I sometimes hit the tab one too many times (or just want to move stuff around) and would like to hit Shift+Tab to move the selected codes to the left. Is this possible?

Robb Feldhege
Feldhege

Postby Karlis » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:57 pm

How comes that Shift + Tab does not work for you? It should be there. Which version are you using?
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby Feldhege » Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:26 pm

It is in the full version I purchased. In the trail I had downloaded it wasn't. Sorry about the confusion.

I did notice that it only allows a shift+tab if you have more then one line selected. Any chance you can allow only one line to be used with the shift tab?

Robb
Feldhege

Postby Karlis » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:58 pm

This behavior is copied from most big editors like MS Visual Studio in order to keep consistency.

I'll think about this, probably there is a cute solution.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

More tabs problems

Postby pjafrombbay » Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:09 am

I have the full (paid) version of HTMLPad pro.

There seems to be a problem with tabs, I cant seem to set tabs to work properly or consistently. I would just like to have simple 4 char tabs with auto tabbing and tabs converted to spaces but none of this seems to work with the settings window.

In the 'Tabs and Indent' dialog I have all options ticked and both 'Tabs' and 'Indents' set at 4.

On a new line the first [Tab] is in one character, the next [Tab] is in another three characters (sometimes six chars). Type some text then [Enter] and the cursor is below the first character of the line above. Press [Tab] and the cursor moves to the character position AFTER the last character of the line above. eg.

xxxxxx
[Tab] |xxxx

Really wierd! Any suggestions please. I don't get this problem in any other editor and happens on both my PCs.

Regards,
Peter :?
pjafrombbay

Postby Karlis » Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:35 pm

Do not use Smart Tabs, I guess most of users are misunderstanding the smart tabs feature and it must be removed.

Smart tabs make all other tab features work diferently, because it inserts tabs according to the contents in previous line.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Support