ftp problems

Post your questions and problem reports here

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please try to follow these guidelines. This will help to receive faster and more accurate response.

• Check the Support section of the corresponding product first. Chances are you will find your answer there;
  • Do not create new topics for already reported problems. Add your comments to the existing topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each problem request. Do NOT post a number of non-related problem reports in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Titles such as "A question," "Bug report" and "Help!" provide others no clue what your message is about;
  • Include the version number of the software you are using;
  • This is not an official customer support helpdesk. If you need a prompt and official response, please contact our support team directly instead. It may take a while until you receive a reply in the forum;

ftp problems

Postby garethadams » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:08 pm

Hi,

Has anyone else experienced problems with the ftp functionality and Windows XP SP2 firewall??

With firewall turned off all is fine, with it on I can't get an ftp connection...

Is there any way of setting HTMLPad ftp to passive?

Thanks

Gareth
garethadams

Postby Karlis » Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:58 am

You must configure your firewall. I do not know exactly how to do this, since I do not have XP SP2, but there must be an option that allows you to customize the firewall settings. It is the firewall which simply blocks FTP.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby garethadams » Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:04 pm

Hello all,

I've finally solved this problem.

It turns out it was to do with the ALG (Application Layer Gateway) servicehaving a conflict with the thrid party firewall. It was stopping ALL non-passive ftp activity. All I had to do was disable the ALG service and it all worked fine.

NOTE: You should only disable this service if you are running XP SP2.

Hope this helps someone!!

Gareth
garethadams

Postby Karlis » Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:35 pm

Thanks, Gareth!
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby Kyle » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:39 am

Yes I have noticed that it seems to have problems with firewalls. Kerio and Zone Alarm even when it is enabled you can not ftp as soon as I shut these down connect flawlessly. Sygate however does not have a problem.
Kyle

FTP Errors

Postby EzySetup » Sun May 15, 2005 6:22 am

I'm using XP with SP2.

More often than not, I receive the WeBuilder 2005 "FTP Error" popup when trying to open directories and files, or trying to save opened files. I have no problems FTPing to the site with any number of other programs.

Using Windows Firewall, WeBuilder does appear in the exceptions list. The error seems to occur whether the firewall is turned on or off.

I have no idea where this "ALG" control is located.

Please advise, this nice piece of software is essentially useless to me without the FTP function.

Thanks,
Andrew
EzySetup

FTP Errors

Postby EzySetup » Sun May 15, 2005 4:12 pm

Follow-up. I did notice that you can set the software to "Passive FTP" in the "Browse FTP" / "Options" dialog. I've done that, but it also doesn't seem to have any effect.

Other programs I have that use FTP do not have any problems (FileZilla, IE, FrontPage, WS_FTP, etc.).

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Andrew
EzySetup

Postby docdave » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:14 am

I am expieriencing the same problems. I actually get locked out of my FTP server randomly when using WebBuilder. I have since switched to CuteFTP for file transfers and exprience no problems.
docdave

Postby Karlis » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:04 pm

If we could get an FTP account or precise instructions to reproduce it at least 20% of the time, we could fix it.

"Often" is not good enough, we need to be able to have the error appear at least 1/5 of time. If you can please help, provide an ftp account data (it will be kept confidentioal) and instructions on what exactly you did in what order.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Support