A 2005 version already??

Post your questions and problem reports here

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please try to follow these guidelines. This will help to receive faster and more accurate response.

• Check the Support section of the corresponding product first. Chances are you will find your answer there;
  • Do not create new topics for already reported problems. Add your comments to the existing topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each problem request. Do NOT post a number of non-related problem reports in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Titles such as "A question," "Bug report" and "Help!" provide others no clue what your message is about;
  • Include the version number of the software you are using;
  • This is not an official customer support helpdesk. If you need a prompt and official response, please contact our support team directly instead. It may take a while until you receive a reply in the forum;

A 2005 version already??

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:03 am

In many threads on this forum, I see "...in the 2005 version...". Here is my point of view about this forthcoming hasty version.

I hope the 2005 version will not only be the 2004 version with less bugs and with some small new features... In my opinion, small features (like Toggle case with keyboard shortcut) should not be the main reason to justify a new major version like the 2005 one. I don't think you're ready to have a new major version considering all the known bugs in the 2004 version. I also hope you will ship a more "bug free" version for the 2004 users before releasing the 2005 version.

When I bought the 2004 version, I was thinking to see a 5.4, 5.5, 5.6, 5.7, 5.8, 5.9 version. This software promises a lot, but I don't want to be forced to buy a new version each year for having a less buggy version.

Questions :
A) What are the major changes for the 2005 version?
B) For the 2004 users, which updates could we hope to have in?

Postby Karlis » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:29 pm

Thank you for your message.

Version 2005 currently is in progress. It will include following enhancements:
* Completely re-built FTP features
* Seriously enhanced Auto Complete
* Seriously enhanced search and replace
* Extended support for JavaScript
* Updated Snippet Library
* Project Management
* New interface style
* Lots of fixes
* Much more... almost all reasonable and not overly complicated feature requests

You might not have noticed, current version is being updated every month. Latest versions were 5.2, 5.21, 5.22, 5.23, 5.24, 5.25, 5.3. Please feeel free to update your version.

As soon as version 2005 is out, the previous one would be discontinued, since the maintenance costs are to high. All serious bugs in version 2004 are already fixed. Some small fixes are upcoming. No new features are planned for 2004. Your suggestions are welcome for 2005.

Unfortunately development costs are high and we can not afford to add new features for two separate major versions at a time. Of course this would be possible at a product price of approx $50. Would you be interested in free major upgrades if the product price was around $50 - $60? I think this is possible, but I doubt such price would be fair, thus it is better to keep the present model.

Thank you for your interest in this matter.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby Okar » Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:34 pm

Version 2005 currently is in progress. It will include following enhancements:
* Seriously enhanced Auto Complete

This may seem appealing to users but, programatically speaking, is not significant enouhg to justify a new release.
* Updated Snippet Library

Frankly speaking I always use my own snippets, designed the way I place my brackets, indent my code etc. I think that, those who are used to code for a while, are doing the same. This doesn't justify a new release as well.
* Lots of fixes

and
All serious bugs in version 2004 are already fixed.

I'm a bit confused now. If there are really "Lots of fixes", all serious bugs in version 2004 **SHOULD NOT ALREADY BEEN FIXED**.

It is definitely up to Blumentals Software to decide the way to run its business, but whatever is put above by "admin" is certainly not the way to encourage people to recommend their software to others.
Okar

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:54 pm

I really agree Okar.

Postby delay » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:23 am

Admin,

Personally I think this is fine for a 2005 release. Just enhanced search and replace is what I am most interested in.

Also I wouldn't mind a $50-$60 price to receive unlimited upgrades. Maybe have it two ways... A one time price that includes all future upgrades and a price that includes only that version.

Your software is very reasonably priced for the features it has.
delay

Postby Karlis » Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:50 pm

Okar, software development is much more complex process than you might imagine, thus I can not explain you all the reasons, but it is just normal to release a new version once in a year.

And it is just not fair to deny the new release befor you know what is included with it.

About bugs, they are fixed already in 2004. What conserns "fixes", they are more related to functionality enhancements, not bugs.

Thank you for your time and understanding.

What is more, customers who order the product few months before or closer to the new major release, get the new version for free, so it can not happen that you buy outdated version and have to upgrade after a few days.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby Okar » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:02 pm

Karlis,

I'm sure we gonna end by getting alone well, but, apparently we need some time and some more communication for this.

I bought your Rapid PHP about 10 days ago. The reason is a very simple one: I like it and I already mentioned it somewhere within this forum.

The matter is that I know a hell of a bit what software developpment is. I'm rather an 'oldbie', coding since ol' good COBOL days. Apart the archaic COBOL, I already coded hundreds of applications in PASCAL and C/C++, without counting scripting languages such as PERL, PHP that I'm using in my web scriptings just for fun.

There are chances that I may understand if you explain what pushes you to have your new major version upgrade within only a few months.
This is from your web site:
What's New

:: Dec 10, 2004 ::
Rapid PHP 2004

:: Nov 19, 2004 ::
HTMLPad 2004 Pro (v5.3)

:: Nov 7, 2004 ::
iNet Protector update (v1.1)

and that is from some other thread of this very forum
... I'll see if this can be included in the first releases of HTMLPad 2005 in March (probably).

I'm neither against your software, nor your company. I merely try to find my way within these slightly confusing statements. That's all.
Okar

Postby Karlis » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:51 am

Thank you for your message. I'm sorry for your confusion. Let me explain, please. Rapid PHP, like HTMLPad and Rapid CSS is a part of our editors series (all running the same core code). Version 2004 came out initially in February 2004 (so it is more than year since) - only HTMLPad and Rapid CSS editions were available then.

There was a demand for PHP editor, thus Rapid PHP was released in December 2004, also it is used as a pilot project for upcoming Rapid PHP/Rapid CSS/HTMLPad series 2005, but it is still based on the code presented at the beginning of 2004, so it is not really that we have just released it. What we have just recently released is a modification of the software product available since Feb 2004.

I believe version 2005 will be right in place, because it is going to integrate customer suggestions collected for past year, mainly big ones, since small ones were already added to 2004.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:12 am

admin wrote:About bugs, they are fixed already in 2004. What conserns "fixes", they are more related to functionality enhancements, not bugs.

According to this thread, I don't think you can say that all bugs are fixed. There are many bugs related to the code editing in HTMLPad.

Postby Okar » Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:38 pm

Karlis,

Now it gets more clear. Thanks.
Okar

Postby homerj » Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:10 pm

Hello,

Reading this thread I think there is a simple solution that could please everyone. Instead of trying to push out a new version every year to maintain a revenue stream, set your purchase price and create an optional annual subscription program with a cost of arouind $10-20 a year. The subscription would gaurentee the customer of getting all the new patches and new versions that are released. If the customer lets the subscription lapse they have to pay full price for the new version.

This will produce a revenue stream, and allow you time to produce a better product. It would be fair and keep your products affordable.

With this scheme you should consider dropping the year from the product name and go with the version number.
homerj

About Major Upgrades

Postby Fizz » Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:09 am

Hi,

I have just come across your software already have Macromedia stuff, but I like the way it works i am interested in HTMLPad and Rapid PHP and CSS. If I was to purchase this in the next few days would I get a free major updates on these software?

Also, are there any plans to integrate the three into one package to make it easier?

Thanks
Fizz

Postby Karlis » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:01 pm

Everybody who purchases starting from February 2005 will get version 2005 for free.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Awww

Postby ben w » Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:56 am

Aww bummer I purchased mine Wed, January 26, 2005 1:09 pm

Not really a bummer because your price is soooo awsome I'll buy rphp 2005 when your done because you deserve the money for such a great product :)

X Maguma user :twisted:
Thank you,
Karlis
ben w

Postby Karlis » Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:39 pm

Thank you Ben. Well if somebody has real problems with purchasing upgrades, we can work it out, but the upgrade price will really be low this time as I plan to allow transition from 2004 to 2005 at almost no significant cost.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Next

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Support