Preview tab not working

Post your questions and problem reports here

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please try to follow these guidelines. This will help to receive faster and more accurate response.

• Check the Support section of the corresponding product first. Chances are you will find your answer there;
  • Do not create new topics for already reported problems. Add your comments to the existing topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each problem request. Do NOT post a number of non-related problem reports in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Titles such as "A question," "Bug report" and "Help!" provide others no clue what your message is about;
  • Include the version number of the software you are using;
  • This is not an official customer support helpdesk. If you need a prompt and official response, please contact our support team directly instead. It may take a while until you receive a reply in the forum;

Preview tab not working

Postby deKay » Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:11 pm

I recently upgraded HTMLPad 2004 Pro to v5.3.2.43, but since doing so, I can't use the preview tab - it just displays the IE "This Page Cannot Be Displayed" message.

I've ensured that the Preview Mappings are disabled, but that doesn't help.

How can I make it work the way it used to? I just want a plain preview - no passing-it-through-a-server.
deKay

Postby Karlis » Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:23 am

Are you sure you have not changed any settings, for example, temporary folder. Nothing was changed in preview features since previous releases.

Anyway, to find out what preview path the program is trying to use, right-click on the "page not found", click Properties and see what URL / Address is there. This will help finding the cause of the problem.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby deKay » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:08 am

admin wrote:Are you sure you have not changed any settings, for example, temporary folder. Nothing was changed in preview features since previous releases.

I'm sure, yes. I have changed them after I started getting the problem, but no luck. I have even uninstalled HTMLPad, deleted everything refering to it in the Registry, and reinstalling. I get the same problem.

Anyway, to find out what preview path the program is trying to use, right-click on the "page not found", click Properties and see what URL / Address is there. This will help finding the cause of the problem.

It says this:

res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm#file://D:\Program Files\HTMLPad 2004 Pro\preview.htm

That file doesn't exist (but d:\program files\HTMLPad 2004 is where the program is installed).
deKay

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:09 pm

Further to this:

The prev0~.php file is being created in the right place, just not being shown.

Postby Karlis » Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:40 pm

I can see the problem now. You have PHP file, but *.php files can not be previewed without having mappings to web server. This should not happen with HTML files.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby deKay » Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:06 pm

admin wrote:I can see the problem now. You have PHP file, but *.php files can not be previewed without having mappings to web server. This should not happen with HTML files.

But they worked fine on the slightly older version of HTMLPad :/ I understand that the PHP won't be parsed, but all that does on most of my pages is add a counter or calls to a db to log a page view.
deKay

Postby fgd » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:04 am

I am having the same problem. I cannot say for certain when it started but I also upgraded recently to 5.32).

I noticed it when:

I issue a view source command from a website, HTMLPAD loads it and I can "preview" the page. As soon as I save the file as .htm[l] the preview does not work and even the text in the editor does no longer recognize (colors) the keywords.

But I just tested creating a "new" HTML file and again no keyword color coding.

---

Edit:

I just installed RapidPHP 2004 on the same machine and everything works with it.
Best Regards
Francis
fgd

Postby Karlis » Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:36 am

First, thank you for the information, I am trying to sort this out but with no luck.

fqd,
your problem is different from that one posted by deKay (you use htm files, he uses php). And I have no idea what could be wrong because everything works for me (on several computers). Also, please note the php code is not syntax highlighted in HTML files you must save them as PHP to see PHP syntax highlighting. Anyway exact steps to reproduce the error would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance.

deKay,
you can not and could never preview php files in the internal preview. This is impossible. Internet Explorer can not open local php files. Try opening php file in web browser (ran from your local disk of course not from web server) and you will see that it just does not work, it offers to download/save the file instead. So I can not imagine that you could ever preview php files without web server. The problem lies in the different place. What I thought now it could be that the internal preview worked for you before you saved the file as php.

Thanks.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby fgd » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:45 am

Karlis:

I do not know if this can help you; I solved my problem but it does look weird:

I reinstalled 5.32 with no change as far the HTML preview/Syntax highlighting.

When I reopened HTMLPAD it remembered a .TPL file (phpBB2 which I had previously edited - I have the TPL extention installed in the HTML Document types): HTML preview/Syntax highlighting both work.....

I had another file downloaded from the web (view source) I notice it comes into HTMLpad without extention and HTML preview/Syntax highlighting both work.

If I do a save as with .html extention, the all text turns black and preview dispalys the "The page cannot be displayed" error.

It inspired me to check the Options | Preferences | Document types | HTML and there I found the only extention defined is TPL... I do not believe I removed all the other extentions but they were nowhere to be seen.

I added back htm/html and now everything works. Sorry if I disturbed you from working on the 2005 line which await patiently.
Best Regards
Francis
fgd

Postby dekay » Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:30 pm

admin wrote:deKay,
you can not and could never preview php files in the internal preview. This is impossible. Internet Explorer can not open local php files. Try opening php file in web browser (ran from your local disk of course not from web server) and you will see that it just does not work, it offers to download/save the file instead. So I can not imagine that you could ever preview php files without web server. The problem lies in the different place. What I thought now it could be that the internal preview worked for you before you saved the file as php.

Thanks.

But it *did* work before. I only ever create PHP files (and usually edit already created PHP files), and the preview has *always* worked, albeit without PHP parsing.

I agree that you cannot open PHP files in IE, but I have been able to preview PHP files in HTMLPad ever since HTMLPad 2002. I know you wrote it and what you say should be true, but if previewing PHP wasn't possible I'd have ditched HTMLPad long ago :)
dekay

Postby Karlis » Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:34 am

FgD, thanks. I have no idea why the HTM extensions were lost, but i believe that you did not touch them. There must be some cause, but it is very difficult to find.

dekay, it could be that something was lost during updates. Could this be that you previously entered PHP code into HTML ocument? Preview should have worked before save in this case. Strangely, I seem to remember having previewed my PHPs long time ago... this is very weird, but I am sure I will find out what and why.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby deKay » Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:02 pm

admin wrote:dekay, it could be that something was lost during updates. Could this be that you previously entered PHP code into HTML ocument? Preview should have worked before save in this case. Strangely, I seem to remember having previewed my PHPs long time ago... this is very weird, but I am sure I will find out what and why.

I don't think I've ever used HTMLPad with anything other than PHP files.

Thanks for looking into it!
deKay

Postby Karlis » Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:46 am

Okay, I have been busy and will be busy with the version 2005 release these weeks, but this problem has been registered and I will get onto it as soon as scheduled time for fixes comes. I'll try to post any info here.

Thank you for your feedback.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Preview Fixes Needed

Postby cpinegar » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:19 am

Hello.

I just upgraded from HTML Pad 2004 to Webuilder and agree that I can no longer preview (unparsed) .php files locally without being mapped to a php server.

The other problems manifest when mapped to the php server are that I am not really previewing local files VIA the server, but am viewing remote files ON the php server. Thus any local changes I make are not previewed, as I am viewing the old remote version of the file on the php server.

Further, if the name of the .php file I am previewing has any UPPER case letters in the file name, I get a 404 error in the previewing tab, because the generated preview filename is in lower case. I can only view remote files with all lowercase names.

So the question is how do I configure the previewer so that I can preview local .php files with file name in UPPER or lower case, by mapping to my php server?

Regards,

Craig
cpinegar

Postby Karlis » Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:27 pm

Craig,

Thanks for your feedback. Currently you should better use all lower case letters in file names if you want to preview them automatically. I agree that this is a problem. I think we can fix these up. Will add to the list.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Support