Rapid PHP 2011 and Framework Support

Post your questions and problem reports here

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please try to follow these guidelines. This will help to receive faster and more accurate response.

• Check the Support section of the corresponding product first. Chances are you will find your answer there;
  • Do not create new topics for already reported problems. Add your comments to the existing topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each problem request. Do NOT post a number of non-related problem reports in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Titles such as "A question," "Bug report" and "Help!" provide others no clue what your message is about;
  • Include the version number of the software you are using;
  • This is not an official customer support helpdesk. If you need a prompt and official response, please contact our support team directly instead. It may take a while until you receive a reply in the forum;

Rapid PHP 2011 and Framework Support

Postby tomgkelly » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:30 am

I just visited the site today and was pleasantly surprised to find that a new release (2011) was available. I've been using the CodeIgniter framework for about 2 years, so I was even more surprised to see that the 2011 release was now supporting frameworks. I immediately upgraded from 2010 to 2011, and got it installed, but I am a little confused as to just how much framework support there is.

I just started fooling around with Prado and wasn't looking forward to creating a whole new set of snippets to support development in that framework, so I enabled Prado and CodeIngniter in the Options->Frameworks menu, but I don't see where the support comes in. I guess I'm not sure what's involved in getting the framework support working, beyond enabling them in the Options menu. Am I missing something? The Help files come up empty when you search on frameworks and most of the stuff I find in the forums goes back to 2008, way before framework support became available.

Could someone please shed some light on framework support?

I've been using Rapid PHP since 2008 and still think it provides the most bang for the buck in the PHP Editor arena. The amazing thing is that I'm still finding little features that I didn't know were there before, so I may be overlooking something very obvious on the Framework front.

Thanks,

Tom K. :D :D
tomgkelly

Re: Rapid PHP 2011 and Framework Support

Postby chrisjlocke » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:10 am

If you select 'CodeIgniter' as a framework, it'll increase the autocomplete words. For example, type 'forc' and press CTRL+SPACE and you'll get the 'force_download' autocomplete.

Thats it, in a nutshell.
chrisjlocke
Top Contributor

Postby tomgkelly » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:52 pm

I agree with mat-moo .... that's kind of what I was expecting too. Still a great editor, but I think they missed the mark on this one.
tomgkelly

Postby chrisjlocke » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:38 pm

Karlis wrote:framework support is new thus you are welcome to post suggestions where appropriate ... rest assured, we will try to improve everything you did not like you mentioned, it just won't happen overnight.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5107&p=17807&hilit=framework#p17807
chrisjlocke
Top Contributor

Postby Steiner » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:21 pm

What you're asking for would require A LOT of work. First it would need to scan the system/core files for the possible model classes, then your application... and that's even if you're using models and not just loading the db info via active record in the controller as it seems that most veteran CI devs do, lol.

Plus there are a few "mystery meat" functions that CI is capable of.

$this->load->model('model_name', 'm_mod');

Will allow you to call

$this->m_mod->get_entries();

Instead of the expected model_name... which I use because I name models the same as the controller their designed for...
_Blog.php (in the model folder)

Then I made extension for the controller class that auto-loads models for the controller if a model file with the same class name (prefixed with an underscore) and then using the second parameter on the load to allow the user of the class name in the "$this" variable (not natively allowed because it thinks you're trying to load the controller within itself causing a recursive instance).

There is simply no simple way for any IDE to expect all possible uses of a framework... and if you're looking for something to make use of your user-defined methods/functions... you're using the wrong framework. lol. There are IDEs built FOR frameworks... albeit far from my place to list them here. This is tool that will simple make developing CI easier, not a completely automate process. And even the limited support is BY FAR better than the complete lack of support most IDEs give to CodeIgniter. Also keep in mind that WeBuilder & Rapid PP are a text-editors first and IDE second. Don't expect it to do your work for you. lol; I personally find that the most attractive feature about the line of Blumentals software, is that they're designed for "on-the-fly" editing in mind... where as most IDEs force you to create projects of everything you work on.
Steiner

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Support