Macros disappear

Post your questions and problem reports here

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please try to follow these guidelines. This will help to receive faster and more accurate response.

• Check the Support section of the corresponding product first. Chances are you will find your answer there;
  • Do not create new topics for already reported problems. Add your comments to the existing topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each problem request. Do NOT post a number of non-related problem reports in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Titles such as "A question," "Bug report" and "Help!" provide others no clue what your message is about;
  • Include the version number of the software you are using;
  • This is not an official customer support helpdesk. If you need a prompt and official response, please contact our support team directly instead. It may take a while until you receive a reply in the forum;

Macros disappear

Postby MikeyB » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:20 am

Hi,

I've noticed a few times now that a little macro that I've recorded, saved, and given a shortcut key to keeps disappearing.
I've been trying to work out when it happens, but I can't really say.

I last set it up again on Wednesday, tested coming out of WeBuilder & back in, rebooting etc. but it stayed.
Was still there yesterday, but this morning (Friday) when I boot my PC and load WeBuilder my macro is gone, I go to Macro -> Macros and the list is empty :(

WeBuilder 11.0.1.127 on Windows XP Pro SP3.

Any ideas?
Cheers,
Mike
MikeyB
Top Contributor

Re: Macros disappear

Postby Gatis » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:34 am

Hi,

Yes, there is an issue with this. For some reason the xml component loses records. We implemented a back-up feature for it, but as it seems, it is not enough.
Kind regards,
Gatis Avots
Gatis
Blumentals Software Developer

Postby MikeyB » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:48 am

Hi,

Any news on a fix for this?
Recorded a little macro on Friday afternoon, and used it on a few files :)
This morning, it's gone :(
MikeyB
Top Contributor

Postby pocoloco » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:39 pm

Gatis wrote:Hi,

Yes, there is an issue with this. For some reason the xml component loses records. We implemented a back-up feature for it, but as it seems, it is not enough.

Hi guys,

how about that issue? It seems that it isn´t solved till yet. The Rapid PHP Editor 2014 still loses saved macros quite suddenly.
The last post with this issue is almost 3 years ago and nothing´s happend till yet. This is not the support I wish for a sales product. :( So, i hope there will be a solution in the near future.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Pocoloco
pocoloco

Postby Aivars » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:52 pm

I'm sure it got fixed but if there is a similar bug please give me reproducible steps and I'll see what I can do about it.
Blumentals Software Programmer
Aivars

Postby erichunt » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:15 am

I am actually getting a similar issue. I can not create any macros. From the drop down menu I select Record Macro. I do my thing, go back to the menu and stop the recording. I go to save, give it a name but when I view the macro list nothing shows up!

Just bought the software a few hours ago and I enjoy a majority of it. Would like to see this working though.
erichunt

Postby MikeyB » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:15 pm

Have to say I've not used macros for a while, not done any in 2014 (12.2.0.150), so have just tested.

I recorded a very short macro about half an hour ago and it saved and worked fine, so no problem creating a macro.

I restarted WeBuilder and the macro was still there.
I restarted a further 2 times, and then the macro was gone!

Did the test again, and have restarted WeBuilder about 5 times now and the macro is still there, so it's random what happens.

(Windows 7 Pro, SP1, 32 bit)
MikeyB
Top Contributor

Postby pocoloco » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:31 pm

Aivars wrote:I'm sure it got fixed but if there is a similar bug please give me reproducible steps and I'll see what I can do about it.

This issue is not reproducible. Like MikeyB says, it happens sometimes, after starting RapidPHP Editor. So i start to record new macros and it works fine for a while. And quite suddenly all the user macros were gone without a warning.
pocoloco

Postby Aivars » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:12 pm

I'll see if I can catch the bug, but if it's random I'll need some luck for that.
Aivars

Postby pjl » Fri May 02, 2014 7:52 pm

It's pretty obvious that Macro's are not working to me... I am just getting ready to purchase and was trying to decide between WebStorm and WeBuilder. It's pretty major decision and time investment switching from Dreamweaver. Close to decision, but my demo download of WeBuilder... macros... is major issue. It does not record correctly... you record a macro, and it does not remember any of the text, keypresses etc unless you do it a couple of times... and then it forgets the macro at some point. I've only used it 10-20 times, but this is really obvious. Is this something that will be fixed in a future update or is it something that can be addressed now? There are a few more minor issues, that I can write my own solution to fix, but this is one thing I would rather not have to tackle.
pjl

Postby pjl » Fri May 02, 2014 7:56 pm

I just noticed that this issue was first opened in 2011... Do I need to open a new ticket?
pjl

Postby Aivars » Sat May 03, 2014 3:42 pm

Nope, it's ok, I'll add the additional info to disappearing the macro problem... The problem with random bugs is that, well, they're random. Since any of us don't use macros daily (in any software) these random issues can easily slip through the testing, but I guess I'll have to start using macros, I just need to figure out what for... :)
Aivars

Postby pjl » Sun May 04, 2014 4:03 am

Heres one... For creating comment... Click record macro... hit all the appropriate keys... open menu with mouse to save macro... the only choice you have is "record macro". So, you can easily replicate this. Had other issues with File Explorer causing focus issues, so I closed File Explorer "anything stuff" and tried again. It recorded macro. Go to play the macro... the cursor just sits there. It did not record keyboard strokes. I only tried this on Windows8.1 Pro.

What to use macro's for... to extend capabilities of program so you don't have to go looking for plugins or do without certain features not available.

I needed to replace blocks of code that were common to all files in some sites I create. No feature, no plugin (Dreamweaver timesaver). I wrote program in Delphi to place all html files in project in array... open each file, replace code blocks (things like navbars, topbars, column blocks) and replace all code... takes 5 secconds. To manually do it can take some time with potential for introducing errors due to ADD :P Needed macro's to place tags in files for initial setup of files already created outside of custom template. Macros don't work.

This is just one example that's personal to my coding habits. Macro's are an essential tool to extend functionality for users on a personal basis. As a dev, you can't satisfy every user with custom code or you end up with a big, complicated mess. But tools like macros, an API that can be accessed by other languages (Delphi for me) make life for end users like me more bearable, more productive and more grateful for talented devs. This really is one of the better programs I've been testing for replacement for Dreamweaver(it has Delphi written all over it)... but I don't want to tackle writing a macro tool outside of the programs code base. Is your API accessible to any windows program?
pjl

Postby Aivars » Tue May 06, 2014 1:18 pm

Maybe you're looking for something like this: http://help.blumentals.net/webuilder/plugins/index.htm
Aivars

Postby MtnSkier » Wed May 14, 2014 8:25 am

May be related: if the macro requires spaces, they work OK until you restart WeBuilder. Then they fail because it deletes ALL spaces when it restarts. The issue is easy to reproduce:
ie:
1. Record and save a macro like: font-family: comic sans ms;
2. Exit and restart WeBuilder
3. Now the macro gives: font-family:comicsansms;

Can this be fixed? Otherwise, the macro tool is a simple yet adequate resource that has helped streamline coding. At some point, it would help to sort the macro display by clicking on the columns, especially if you have a lot.

I started using WeBuilder six weeks ago, and I appreciate the rich feature set. I use macros all the time - I would not enjoy seeing them disappear - so far it has not happened.

[WebBuilder 2014, Windows XP]
MtnSkier

Next

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Support