Just purchased, help with: locate php, intergrate with web..

Post your questions and problem reports here

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please try to follow these guidelines. This will help to receive faster and more accurate response.

• Check the Support section of the corresponding product first. Chances are you will find your answer there;
  • Do not create new topics for already reported problems. Add your comments to the existing topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each problem request. Do NOT post a number of non-related problem reports in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Titles such as "A question," "Bug report" and "Help!" provide others no clue what your message is about;
  • Include the version number of the software you are using;
  • This is not an official customer support helpdesk. If you need a prompt and official response, please contact our support team directly instead. It may take a while until you receive a reply in the forum;

Just purchased, help with: locate php, intergrate with web..

Postby Silver » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:50 am

The reason I bought it, I thought it would help me build my website. I have never done this before, and just know enough html to make me look stupid.. so. :cry:

The only programs I have used to practice html on was notepad, and the free Trellian editor. I was and am hoping this program can be used by absolute newcomers to the field.

When I installed the program it asked for the following:

1. locate php:
a. How do I have the program locate the PhP?

2. integrate with web server - please select local folder for mapping to web server path
a. How do I integrate with my web server?
b. Which local folder is it looking for?
c. What is mapping my web server path?

3. temporary folder... located under web server document root ?????
a. What temp folder is it referring to... my web server or on my computer?
b. if refering to the web server, what path do I create this folder under?

4. When creating my images and anything else for that matter, how do I find out what the path for my anchors and hyperlinks are to be?

5. How do I upload Javascript's that I have purchased and tell the program to use them and what path to get the info from?

The hosting company I just signed up with is unix. They say they have PhP, Javascript, and such I can use.

Thanks in advance, please forgive the ridiculous nature of my queries, but I am completely new to all of this. :oops:

Silver
We carry safety, security, and defense products, we're here when you need them.
Silver

Postby chrisjlocke » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:18 pm

If you don't use PHP, then there is no reason to set it up. PHP is a programming language you can use to build things like online galleries, forums, etc. Anything more than simple HTML.

When you start delving into PHP, you can set the option, but for the time being, you can leave it blank!

The "Integrate with web server" is the same thing - unless you're going to start programming with PHP or ASP (Windows programming language), then this is unimportant.

The temporary file location is that on your local machine. Use c:\temp or c:\tmp, or wherever your 'dustbin' usually is.

When creating my images and anything else for that matter, how do I find out what the path for my anchors and hyperlinks are to be?
Not sure what you mean here. HTML uses relative links, so if you have "cat.jpg" in a directory, and the "cat.htm" was in the same directory, you'd simply use the IMG tag with "cat.jpg". If you have a dedicated IMAGES directory, you would use "/images/cat.jpg" for example. (note the 'reverse' slashes, compared to what you'd use in Windows)

One important thing to note. In Windows, filenames and directories are not case sensitive - \folder is the same as \FOLDER. On your Unix hosting account, filenames are case sensitive - /folder and /FOLDER are two different folders. Its therefore better to use all lowercase for files and folders - just in case.
Last edited by chrisjlocke on Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisjlocke
Top Contributor

Postby chrisjlocke » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:25 pm

Just going back to PHP for a bit. If you do plan to use PHP (and its quite easy and fun to use - just starting to get into it myself!) you download the php Windows binaries from http://www.php.net/downloads.php
Install that in c:\program files\php (for example) and then when WeBuilder asks for php.exe, just tell it where you installed it.
chrisjlocke
Top Contributor

Thank you, to further explain what I mean..

Postby Silver » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:55 am

Thank you for responding...

When creating my images and anything else for that matter, how do I find out what the path for my anchors and hyperlinks are to be?

OK, I signed up with a hosting company. To use an example ajax.com

I don't know exactly what anchor / hyperlink address to use. In reading different web tutorials, some state all I have to use is say //images.com, but that can't be right, as how would the page know whose images to get, same when anchoring to a different page?

How do I tell the program the correct web address to do these things?

Does that make any more sense? I hope?... thank you

Silver

P.S. Thank you about the tip on case sensiteve folders... did not know. :)
Silver

Postby chrisjlocke » Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:01 am

As I mentioned above, if the image lives in the same directory as the htm file, there is no linking or anything - the IMG tag would have a src value of 'cat.jpg' for example.

Take the above "Bluementals Software" logo as an example. It lives here:
/templates/subSilver/images/logo_phpBB.gif

The first backslash is the 'root' of the website - the beginning (like c:\ is the root of your hard drive) so the image is in 'images' which is in the 'subsilver' folder, which is in the 'templates' folder. As far as the IMG tag to display that picture is concerned, it is "/templates/subSilver/images/logo_phpBB.gif". If the htm file was in the same directory, you could just use "logo_phpBB.gif".

If you wanted that image from your site, you would have to use the full URL, ie, http://..... etc.

Thats probably not that much clearer. If not, I can create a test page on my website to show you.
chrisjlocke
Top Contributor

Postby Silver » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:18 pm

Thank you Chrisjlocke, it was wonderful of you to help. I think I got it. God Bless and keep safe. Silver
Silver

Postby chrisjlocke » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:41 pm

Yell back if its not clear, or you want an example. :D
chrisjlocke
Top Contributor

Postby Karlis » Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:25 pm

Chrisjlocke, thanks for hanging around here. Your help is very appreciated! :wink:
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Support