Indenting Block (Tab/Shift-Tab) Issue

Post your questions and problem reports here

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please try to follow these guidelines. This will help to receive faster and more accurate response.

• Check the Support section of the corresponding product first. Chances are you will find your answer there;
  • Do not create new topics for already reported problems. Add your comments to the existing topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each problem request. Do NOT post a number of non-related problem reports in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Titles such as "A question," "Bug report" and "Help!" provide others no clue what your message is about;
  • Include the version number of the software you are using;
  • This is not an official customer support helpdesk. If you need a prompt and official response, please contact our support team directly instead. It may take a while until you receive a reply in the forum;

Indenting Block (Tab/Shift-Tab) Issue

Postby ecarlson66 » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:46 pm

When I use Tab/Shift-Tab to indent or un-indent(?) a block of code, WeBuilder (6.1.0.54) does not maintain the block of code that was highlighted. For example, if I highlight 3 lines and then use shift-tab to un-indent that block, the highlighting moves down to the next line and also un-indents that line. It really makes a mess of my code sometimes. It almost seems like the highting is maintained by how many characters are highlighted and once some of the tabs or spaces are removed by un-indenting, the area of the highlight has to increase to maintain the number of characters highlighted. Just a guess.
ecarlson66

Postby chrisjlocke » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:55 pm

Does this do it on any particular file? (eg, html, css, etc)
Does it do it every time? (can't replicate here, and I'm using the same version)
chrisjlocke
Top Contributor

Postby ecarlson66 » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:42 pm

It's pretty consistent. I've been playing with it and it seems to happen when there are lines that have been indented with tabs and I currently have my settings to convert tabs to spaces. Once I reformat the lines to have all spaces in place of tabs it doesn't seem to be an issue. But I would still expect it to handle tabs appropriately.
ecarlson66

Postby chrisjlocke » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:26 am

Still can't replicate it here... :( Have tried unindenting 3 lines padded with tabs and again, padded with spaces.
chrisjlocke
Top Contributor

Postby ecarlson66 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:31 pm

Continues to happen regularly with me. I'll find a piece of code that demonstrates it and post it somewhere.
ecarlson66

Postby chrisjlocke » Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:44 pm

Feel free to email it to me if you want me to host it...
chrisjlocke
Top Contributor

Postby ecarlson66 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:37 pm

I have been able to duplicate it but every time I try to copy and paste it to a new file something gets "fixed" and it will no longer behave the way I have described. I don't think my employer would approve of me sending an entire file from our system so I'll have to wait until I have something that is not sensitive that I can post.
ecarlson66

Postby chrisjlocke » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:42 am

If it doesn't do it every time, then it suggests something funny with the code you're pasting in (a strange character somewhere) rather than an issue with the software (otherwise it would do it each time)
chrisjlocke
Top Contributor

Postby Karlis » Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:28 pm

Please provide the exact sample file (or a piece of code) and exact steps to reproduce the problem, probably with screenshots. This would help! You can send them to support [at] blumentals.net
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby ecarlson66 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:15 pm

chrisjlocke wrote:If it doesn't do it every time, then it suggests something funny with the code you're pasting in (a strange character somewhere) rather than an issue with the software (otherwise it would do it each time)

Yes is is related to the text I'm working with but my point is that I have several other text editors and none of them have the same problem. All of the code I'm working with has been created by Visual InterDev so it's not like it should be anything really weird.
ecarlson66

Postby Karlis » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:03 pm

again:

Please provide the exact sample file (or a piece of code) and exact steps to reproduce the problem, probably with screenshots. This would help! You can send them to support [at] blumentals.net
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

It indents also the line where the cursor is placed?

Postby purpleedge2004 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:50 am

I think what you are describing is where you highlight a block, and the cursor postition is actually in position 0 of the next line? So, when you indent it also indents the next line? If you only highlight to the end of the line in the block you want to indent then this doesn't happen?

This is fairly common practise with editing programs, although annoying because different programs do it differently. I get into the habit of leaving a blank line (CRLF) between blocks of text to avoid the problem.

Just tried it here with 0.58 - I guess this issue has been fixed because it doesn't do it here?
Regards,
Purple
purpleedge2004

Postby Karlis » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:36 pm

purpleedge2004,

Correct, it has been fixed some time ago!
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Re: It indents also the line where the cursor is placed?

Postby ecarlson66 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:49 pm

I think what you are describing is where you highlight a block, and the cursor postition is actually in position 0 of the next line? So, when you indent it also indents the next line? If you only highlight to the end of the line in the block you want to indent then this doesn't happen?

Nope, totally different issue. When I can capture a piece of code that demonstrates it that doesn't require me to post company code I will post it.
ecarlson66

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Support