internal preview (i read the faq)

Post your questions and problem reports here

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please try to follow these guidelines. This will help to receive faster and more accurate response.

• Check the Support section of the corresponding product first. Chances are you will find your answer there;
  • Do not create new topics for already reported problems. Add your comments to the existing topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each problem request. Do NOT post a number of non-related problem reports in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Titles such as "A question," "Bug report" and "Help!" provide others no clue what your message is about;
  • Include the version number of the software you are using;
  • This is not an official customer support helpdesk. If you need a prompt and official response, please contact our support team directly instead. It may take a while until you receive a reply in the forum;

Postby HeadElf » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:32 pm

Hmm. That may be why. Almost all of my programming is php.

There are some terrific things I really like about RapidPHP, mainly the libraries. They rock. I like the color palette setup on RapidPHP better than any editor I've used. Other things about it make it awkward for me to use.

The lack of a context menu in the file explorer forces extra steps when I want to delete or rename files. I do like the way the file explorer portion auto-refreshes. That's really nice. In EditPlus, refresh is manual.

Not having tabs for everything that's open to the left is difficult. The file explorer doesn't integrate into what's already open, but overlays it instead. I like my file explorer window open as I'm frequently opening additional files. It's the way I code, so that's what I need. Having to shuffle things around to get to the libraries is awkward. Having the file explorer overlay the libraries instead of mesh with tabs is awkward.

The best layout I've seen for open file tabs is AlleyCode. There is very little I don't like about AlleyCode's appearance and how it does what it does. It is, however, an extremely limited piece of software. It doesn't have an internal viewer, creates a temporary file in a remote directory to view in the system browser and is basically just a really good html editor. After playing with it just a bit, it's easy to see why it's so highly rated. As a jumping off point for a more complex editor, I don't see how it can be beat.

EditPlus comes closest to being ideal, though it doesn't have the really nice libraries utility of RapidPHP. EditPlus icons are clear, intuitive and readable, it indents and matches indentation of coding, has nicely tabbed directory and cliptext windows, has context menu for all open files (as does AlleyCode) and is generally easy to manage/setup/use. As I said before, I like the color palette setup on RapidPHP better.

There are many things EditPlus does that RapidPHP doesn't yet do.
If I had tested RapidPHP a little longer, I wouldn't have purchased it. I think it will eventually be a great piece of software, it's just not there yet.

Please feel free to edit the heck out of this in your own best interest. I won't be offended.

HeadElf
HeadElf
HeadElf

Postby Karlis » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:19 pm

Auto refresh after predefined number of seconds for PHP is not possible because it would generate lots of PHP errors while you are writing incomplete PHP code. If your script accesses data or something, it might get even jammed. So this is no way! Also I do not see a need to have your php file refresh every 5 or so seconds. This is useful for people learning and exploring HTML.

Thanks for your comments anyway. I can now see that you might not be aware of some features or how to use them.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Not having tabs for everything that's open to the left is difficult". If you mean the layout, then please be aware that you can drag windows with your mouse and achieve any layout both with tabs or without. You can put windows side by side or you can also put them on top of each other and switch using Tabs at the bottom I can send you a screenshot with File Explorer on the left and with its own tab. :wink:

There actually is a context menu in file explorer, so I can not understand why can't you use it. Everybody uses it since version 2004 and I can send you a screenshot :D
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Previous

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Support