Keyboard shortcut for auto-complete

Post your questions and problem reports here

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please try to follow these guidelines. This will help to receive faster and more accurate response.

• Check the Support section of the corresponding product first. Chances are you will find your answer there;
  • Do not create new topics for already reported problems. Add your comments to the existing topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each problem request. Do NOT post a number of non-related problem reports in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Titles such as "A question," "Bug report" and "Help!" provide others no clue what your message is about;
  • Include the version number of the software you are using;
  • This is not an official customer support helpdesk. If you need a prompt and official response, please contact our support team directly instead. It may take a while until you receive a reply in the forum;

Keyboard shortcut for auto-complete

Postby lylo » Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:32 pm

Hi

Please can anyone tell me if it's possible to assign a keyboard shortcut to manually activate the autocomplete popup?

I'm so used to doing this from my Java editor I'd love to be able to do it from this excellent HTML editor.

Cheers.
lylo

Auto complete

Postby clarkedesign » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:35 am

Hi,

You can assign a keyboard shortcut to autocomplete in the usual way (Options / keyboard Shortcuts)

The default is CTRL + SPACE

I've tried using this though and it doesn't seem to do anything.

I want to bring up the autocomplete list of options for an exisiting element and using CTRL + SPACE does nothing - not sure if this is a bug.

Say for example I've set the 'text-decoration' to underline. If I position my cursor on the 'underline' text and press CTRL + Space nothing happens. What I'd expect is to see a pop-up menu giving me other options for text-decoration as it would if I were typing the tag in fresh.

I've tried chaning the default keystroke with no changes.

Can anyone else confirm this problem or has anyone found a workaround.

Thanks
Sean
clarkedesign

Postby chrisjlocke » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:17 pm

Hmm. Hard to explain the 'rules' for when it pops up (or doesn't) but you can't force it, like you can in Microsoft VB, for example.

As another example, in creating CSS pages, it will happily popup if the CSS is 'valid' (no text between the braces) but as soon as you type 'f' (for font-family for example) you can't force the autocomplete with CTRL SPACE. Also, if you type 'font' (and the text goes from red to black, to denote its valid) you can't force the auto complete to appear with valid entries beginning with 'font'.

But hey, its better than nothing at all! :lol:
chrisjlocke
Top Contributor

Postby clarkedesign » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:00 am

Hey, I get what you mean it does seem to popup every now and again but not when I want it to. it should popup when I press CTRL-SPACE without asking whether it should or not.

I've been using TopStyle Pro for a while now and must say that I prefer WeBuilder, but without this kind of fundamental editor feature I'm not sure that I can move over to weBuilder just yet.

Please can admin let us know if they can tweak the interface a little to allow CTRL-SPACE (or whatever) to bring up the auto-complete menu for an existing item just as it would for a new item. All of the other software around does this, so I don't think that we are asking too much.
clarkedesign

Postby Karlis » Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:13 pm

This feature will be available in one of the next releases. :)
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby lylo » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:58 am

admin wrote:This feature will be available in one of the next releases. :)

karlis, you rule :D
lylo

Postby Karlis » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:19 am

I'm currently waiting for my partner developer to return from summer vacation. After he is back, we will take care of this feature.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Support