WeBuilder 2014 hangs using IE preview

Post your questions and problem reports here

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please try to follow these guidelines. This will help to receive faster and more accurate response.

• Check the Support section of the corresponding product first. Chances are you will find your answer there;
  • Do not create new topics for already reported problems. Add your comments to the existing topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each problem request. Do NOT post a number of non-related problem reports in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Titles such as "A question," "Bug report" and "Help!" provide others no clue what your message is about;
  • Include the version number of the software you are using;
  • This is not an official customer support helpdesk. If you need a prompt and official response, please contact our support team directly instead. It may take a while until you receive a reply in the forum;

WeBuilder 2014 hangs using IE preview

Postby reacher » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:38 am

I've just come back to a project I created with WeBuilder 2014 (12.2.0.150) after a few months and now find that it is nigh on unusable if the Internet Explorer preview option is selected. This would be fine but for the fact I noticed my site no longer renders in IE properly so I need this preview in order to make sure I've got things working properly. If you open pcanytime.co.nz/index.htm in IE then in Chrome, Opera or Firefox you'll see what I mean. This is odd as it rendered fine last time I played around with editing the site/project a few months ago, which leads me to think perhaps IE has had an update in the meantime and it has broken things on my machine. No doubt I will be the only one on the planet affected.

While I'm not yet sure what the problem is with the way I've done the tables/borders on the site (yes, I know, I'm no coding guru so without doubt there will be a superior way of doing it) but for now I'm stuck with it. It's probably a border-collapse: collapse issue or something along those lines but regardless of what's causing the site to not render, I'm more concerned with why WeBuilder now gags as soon as I load the index.htm file into it.

To replicate I load the file then switch between Chrome and IE previews; WeBuilder hangs for 30-40 seconds before becoming usable. This happens on all the html pages I've tried in my site. It doesn't happen with CSS files. Even closing that index.htm file hangs WB for the same 30-40 seconds.

I haven't played around more with it due to time but if anyone has any ideas as to why this happens I'm all ears. I'm using Windows 7 32-bit Ultimate with the usual software utilities installed. Nothing is out of the ordinary and most tellingly nothing has changed (that I am aware of) since I last had this file open for editing a few months ago. My Windows does not update automatically and the only things I know have updated is Firefox, Opera and the usual flash player stuff - there are no flash or other plugins required for my site. Thanks, Dave.
Last edited by reacher on Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
reacher

Re: WeBuilder 1014 hangs using IE preview

Postby Aivars » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:46 pm

Try removing this part from the local file before previewing and let me know if that changes anything.

Code: Select all
<script>!function(d,s,id){var js,fjs=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];if(!d.getElementById(id)){js=d.createElement(s);js.id=id;js.src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js,fjs);}}(document,"script","twitter-wjs");</script>
Blumentals Software Programmer
Aivars
Blumentals Software Developer

Re: WeBuilder 2014 hangs using IE preview

Postby reacher » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:34 am

Thanks as always Aivars.

That is what's causing the problem. I had no doubt it would be my shite coding so I'll just comment that out while I work on the file then tweak it once I've uploaded it (not that anyone follws me on twitter anyway!).

Thanks again and all the best.
reacher

Re: WeBuilder 2014 hangs using IE preview

Postby Aivars » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:34 pm

It's not just you, actually it's some questionable decisions by Microsoft at fault here - when IE sees //some_link_here and you're previewing it locally, it assumes you want to access file:///platform.twitter.com/... by Local Area Network. Why would Microsoft assume anyone would ever need that I have no idea, but it takes a while for Windows to determine that the host can not in fact be reached by LAN and during this time everything is frozen. We haven't been able to trick IE to not do this so far but maybe someday.
Blumentals Software Programmer
Aivars
Blumentals Software Developer

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Support