debugging in Rapid PHP

Post your questions and problem reports here

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please try to follow these guidelines. This will help to receive faster and more accurate response.

• Check the Support section of the corresponding product first. Chances are you will find your answer there;
  • Do not create new topics for already reported problems. Add your comments to the existing topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each problem request. Do NOT post a number of non-related problem reports in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Titles such as "A question," "Bug report" and "Help!" provide others no clue what your message is about;
  • Include the version number of the software you are using;
  • This is not an official customer support helpdesk. If you need a prompt and official response, please contact our support team directly instead. It may take a while until you receive a reply in the forum;

debugging in Rapid PHP

Postby uha » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:12 am

I have followed the instructions given in your page "Installing PHP debugger"
and have set one or two breakpoints. When I click on 'Start debugging', Firefox opens
having the following address:

http://thedemocompany.local/data/produc ... webuilder&

Now executing a function which calls a form having the breakpoints set, the form appears but nothing else happens.

As this is my first PHP debugging, for non web ralated projects I am using VS2012, could you please give me a hint?
Thx
UH
uha

Re: debugging in Rapid PHP

Postby Aivars » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:29 am

Are you trying to use the built in web server with the PHP installation from our website or are you using your own installation with a web server that you installed yourself? If it's your own webserver and PHP, do you have XDebug extension installed and enabled?
Blumentals Software Programmer
Aivars
Blumentals Software Developer

Postby uha » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:28 am

sorry my info was not complete.

I use

Version PHP 5.4
xdebug: php_xdebug-2.2.5-5.4-vc9-nts-x86_64.dll
Webserver Apache 2.4 installed locally with several virtual host, one for each development website
This is what I have added to the php.ini:
[Zend]
zend_extension = "c:\php\ext\php_xdebug-2.2.5-5.4-vc9-nts-x86_64.dll"
xdebug.remote_enable = true

and . I just see that the menu point debugger configuration is greyed out
uha

Postby Aivars » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:52 am

If you do phpinfo(), does XDebug section seem to be ok?
Aivars

Postby uha » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:09 am

I don't understand everything there, have a look, please:

System Windows NT GULLIVER 6.1 build 7601 (Windows 7 Business Edition Service Pack 1) i586
Build Date Sep 12 2012 23:44:56
Compiler MSVC9 (Visual C++ 2008)
Architecture x86
Configure Command cscript /nologo configure.js "--enable-snapshot-build" "--disable-isapi" "--enable-debug-pack" "--without-mssql" "--without-pdo-mssql" "--without-pi3web" "--with-pdo-oci=C:\php-sdk\oracle\instantclient10\sdk,shared" "--with-oci8=C:\php-sdk\oracle\instantclient10\sdk,shared" "--with-oci8-11g=C:\php-sdk\oracle\instantclient11\sdk,shared" "--enable-object-out-dir=../obj/" "--enable-com-dotnet=shared" "--with-mcrypt=static" "--disable-static-analyze" "--with-pgo"
Server API Apache 2.4 Handler Apache Lounge
Virtual Directory Support enabled
Configuration File (php.ini) Path C:\Windows
Loaded Configuration File C:\Internet\xampp\php\php.ini
Scan this dir for additional .ini files (none)
Additional .ini files parsed (none)
PHP API 20100412
PHP Extension 20100525
Zend Extension 220100525
Zend Extension Build API220100525,TS,VC9
PHP Extension Build API20100525,TS,VC9
Debug Build no
Thread Safety enabled
Zend Signal Handling disabled
Zend Memory Manager enabled
Zend Multibyte Support provided by mbstring
IPv6 Support enabled
DTrace Support disabled
Registered PHP Streams php, file, glob, data, http, ftp, zip, compress.zlib, compress.bzip2, https, ftps, phar, sqlsrv
Registered Stream Socket Transports tcp, udp, ssl, sslv3, sslv2, tls
Registered Stream Filters convert.iconv.*, mcrypt.*, mdecrypt.*, string.rot13, string.toupper, string.tolower, string.strip_tags, convert.*, consumed, dechunk, zlib.*, bzip2.*
uha

Postby Aivars » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:47 pm

There should be a whole section dedicated to xdebug. See attached screenshot.

If there isn't you need to turn it on in xampp php.ini settings. Without Xdebug PHP does not allow any debugging.
Attachments
xdebug.png
xdebug.png (44.97 KiB) Viewed 19847 times
Aivars

Postby uha » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:28 am

well, nothing seems to help, despite I am sure now that I didn't make any mistakes. There is no XDebug section in phpinfo().

So, in the next few days, I will undertake a major operation by making a new install of Apache and PHP - I hate that, but I don't see an other way if I want to use the debug features.
uha

Postby Aivars » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:13 am

I found something that might or might not help (I don't have xampp):

http://unitstep.net/blog/2009/01/26/get ... debug-php/ (you don't need the Eclipse part)

The article says "zend_extension_ts" but it might be "zend_extension", try it if the first doesn't work.
Aivars

Postby uha » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:37 pm

thanks, but no, it doesn't help either.
Again, I don't like that at all, but I have already downloaded the newest versions of Apache and PHP together with the debugging extensions. I'll install that without using XAMPP which anyway I have never used since I installed it. It was useful for installing Apache first time on a windows system, I must say.

I'll let you know the results.
uha

Postby MichaelArnold » Tue May 22, 2018 11:06 pm

uha wrote:thanks, but no, it doesn't help either.
Again, I don't like that at all, but I have already downloaded the newest versions of Apache and PHP together with the debugging extensions. I'll install that without using XAMPP which anyway I have never used since I installed it. It was useful for installing Apache first time on a windows system, I must say.

I'll let you know the results.

I'm also having the same problem and was looking for some solution in this thread. Can you please point me into right direction for installing Apache on a windows system. I've used XAMPP but never installed Apache. Any guide or instructions would work fine. Also, if there is any troubleshooting guide, please give me a link for that too as I know that there would be some problems initially.
MichaelArnold

Postby pmk65 » Wed May 23, 2018 2:10 am

MichaelArnold wrote:I'm also having the same problem and was looking for some solution in this thread. Can you please point me into right direction for installing Apache on a windows system. I've used XAMPP but never installed Apache. Any guide or instructions would work fine. Also, if there is any troubleshooting guide, please give me a link for that too as I know that there would be some problems initially.

See this thread: Setting up XDebug with XAMPP and WeBuilder
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
pmk65

Postby Fisher » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:48 am

For syntax errors, you need to enable error display in the php.ini. By default these are turned off because you don't want a "customer" seeing the error messages. Check this page in the PHP documentation for information on the 2 directives: error_reporting and display_errors. display_errors is probably the one you want to change. If you can't modify the php.ini, you can also add the following lines to an .htaccess file:

php_flag display_errors on
php_value error_reporting 2039
You may want to consider using the value of E_ALL (as mentioned by Gumbo) for your version of PHP for error_reporting to get all of the errors. more info

3 other items: (1) You can check the error log file as it will have all of the errors (unless logging has been disabled). (2) Adding the following 2 lines will help you debug errors that are not syntax errors:

error_reporting(-1);
ini_set('display_errors', 'On');
(3) Another option is to use an editor that checks for errors when you type, such as PhpEd. PhpEd also comes with a debugger which can provide more detailed information. (The PhpEd debugger is very similar to xdebug and integrates directly into the editor so you use 1 program to do everything.)

Cartman's link is also very good: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/os-debug/
Fisher

Postby sundown » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:15 pm

Hi,
using Rapid PHP 15.3.0.205.
My comments on debugger are mainly to do with the debugger not showing all variables and constants i.e $_SESSION, $_REQUEST, $_SERVER. I would expect any debugger to show globals/locals/constants in a grid that can be examined for content. Am I missing some setting someplace? I should not need to use the evaluate tab to query the setting of a constant.
Nick
sundown

Postby DonaldAllen » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:03 am

I don't like that at all, but I have already downloaded the newest versions of Apache and PHP together with the debugging extensions. I'll install that without using XAMPP which anyway I have never used since I installed it.
DonaldAllen

Postby pmk65 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:49 pm

pety wrote:
riyasathe wrote:Excellent thread. I learned a lot here. Informative topic. Thank you!

Ha, ha, ha very informative for a spammer.

He's one of those retards who think it improves SEO ranking and get more visitors to his site by spamming various discussion forums.
I wonder why anyone would bother spend time doing that, specially when it has the opposite effect. :D
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
pmk65

Next

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Support