Missing splash and black icon boxes

Post your questions and problem reports here

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please try to follow these guidelines. This will help to receive faster and more accurate response.

• Check the Support section of the corresponding product first. Chances are you will find your answer there;
  • Do not create new topics for already reported problems. Add your comments to the existing topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each problem request. Do NOT post a number of non-related problem reports in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Titles such as "A question," "Bug report" and "Help!" provide others no clue what your message is about;
  • Include the version number of the software you are using;
  • This is not an official customer support helpdesk. If you need a prompt and official response, please contact our support team directly instead. It may take a while until you receive a reply in the forum;

Missing splash and black icon boxes

Postby Larry » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:37 pm

All of a sudden htmlpad 2015's splash screen is just a gray box with nothing in it.

I don't know if it's related to a reported problem where my menu icons are black until I hover over them and then they turn to the correct color or the individual command icons to minimize, maximize, or close individual tabs that also disappears when I hover over them.

I've reported to tech support but haven't heard back yet on the black icons but wanted to see if anyone else has these problems.

Windows 7 64bit.

Thanks.
Larry

Re: Missing splash and black icon boxes

Postby Aivars » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:20 pm

Did anything else change on your computer (new software, update Htmlpad, new plugins, anything at all?) right before the problem appeared?

I have never heard of such problem but you could try these things:
1) Open %appdata%\Blumentals\htmlpad\settings\layouts folder and empty it.
2) If that doesn't help, uninstall Htmlpad (remove all settings) and reinstall it.
Blumentals Software Programmer
Aivars
Blumentals Software Developer

Postby Larry » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:42 pm

I don't know for sure about other software installs. In October I installed software for my web cam and shortly after that I noticed the black box issue in another program but I don't remember it happening in htmlpad. In December (I think) I noticed htmlpad had the black box issue but I know the splash screen was ok last week (it took that long to discover the black box issue because hadn't used it for a couple months).

Yesterday I decided to see if I could resolve the black box issue and found that I could disable desktop themes for the other program and the black box problem went away. I tried the same setting on htmlpad but it didn't help so I tried global settings and played around with the Advanced Performance settings to see if that made a difference. It's then I discovered the splash screen was blank but didn't fix the black box problem. I reset the settings to the way I had them but still no splash screen. It's at that time I also discovered the disappearing tab controls but I don't know how long that may have been going on because I never use them.

By the way, I did find that when I set setting to Performance in Advanced no boxes but still no splash screen and then when I turned on use visual style in windows and buttons the black boxes appeared.

Today I cleared the layouts folder but that didn't make a difference. I'll have to try the complete uninstall route later.

Thanks.
Larry

Postby Larry » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:42 am

I did a full uninstall including settings and then reinstalled 2015 v13.1 and it still has the same problems.
Larry

Postby Aivars » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:42 pm

So you're running Htmlpad in compatibility mode? Can you clear that and try to run it normally?

Try another thing - try installing Htmlpad on a Flash drive in portable mode and see if that copy runs for you. If it runs, there is some problem with your current settings or installation; if it doesn't and has the same problem, then there is a problem with your system.
Aivars

Postby Larry » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:12 pm

Sorry for the confusion but no I'm not running in compatibility mode. I tried it but it didn't make any difference.

I'll try the portable mode and get back to you.

Assuming it's my system, what would cause it? Is there a menu call using specific dll that might be corrupted? Could an installation of graphic drivers be causing it? I have a NVIDIA Geforce GT 720.

Thanks for your help.
Larry

Postby Aivars » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:32 pm

It's hard to tell, there shouldn't be anything that would cause this. The error apparently happens in loading/initialization process and it's catastrophic enough to prevent any error messages from appearing. One thing that I think might cause something like this could be some problematic intrusive processes (security software, firewalls, debuggers, skinning software, viruses). Another option, maybe some vital resource that is never supposed to be missing in any system is missing in yours and thus causes total failure due to unexpectedness.
If portable version doesn't work, PM me, I'll try to make a special diagnostic version for you to figure out at which point exactly in the initialization the failure occurs.
Aivars

Postby Larry » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:33 pm

Thanks for the info.

I tried the portable on another Windows 7 computer. The icons on the menu are fine but the splash screen is a white box.

I've changed my system settings on my desktop to the same as is on my notebook but it didn't make a difference about either black boxes or splash screen on desktop.
Larry

Postby Aivars » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:25 pm

Do you happen to use any software for skinning, visualizations or alike? Can you post or PM me a screenshot?
Aivars

Postby Larry » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:22 pm

No extra visualizations. Just Windows 7 offerings.

I did PM you with the screen shots. Did you get them?

Thanks.
Larry

Postby Aivars » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:50 pm

I have them but I can't figure out what causes it. The splash screen, for instance, is just a simple image, nothing fancy or advanced. When think of something, I'll PM you back.
Aivars

Postby Larry » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:35 pm

Can you tell me the location and file type of the splash screen? Perhaps I have a default setting messed up.
Larry

Postby Aivars » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:24 pm

The image is built into the executable so it couldn't be lost, and it's a simple bitmap.
Aivars

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Support