HTML and CSS Slow

Post your questions and problem reports here

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please try to follow these guidelines. This will help to receive faster and more accurate response.

• Check the Support section of the corresponding product first. Chances are you will find your answer there;
  • Do not create new topics for already reported problems. Add your comments to the existing topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each problem request. Do NOT post a number of non-related problem reports in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Titles such as "A question," "Bug report" and "Help!" provide others no clue what your message is about;
  • Include the version number of the software you are using;
  • This is not an official customer support helpdesk. If you need a prompt and official response, please contact our support team directly instead. It may take a while until you receive a reply in the forum;

HTML and CSS Slow

Postby oriole » Fri May 01, 2015 6:36 pm

:) Maybe this has an easy answer,
I recently updated my site to use style sheets, but it was slow going because when I have the Html page and style sheet loaded, getting a preview takes minutes. I spend more time watching the spinning circle than working. This happens going from the code view to the preview whether or not there have been any changes.
My work around was to keep the styling on the HTML page until I was finished.
If I load a html page and not the style sheet for it then it works fast again. It seems having the page and it's style sheet open at the same time in the program causes this slowing and about 1/3 of the time crashing.
I am redoing my pages again so thought that I would try and solve this before I start.
oriole

Re: HTML and CSS Slow

Postby Aivars » Mon May 25, 2015 10:43 am

Try using the other browser for preview (e.g. if you use Chrome, use IE instead or vice versa).
Blumentals Software Programmer
Aivars
Blumentals Software Developer

Postby miodek1987 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:24 am

From mu experiance non-popular browsers are fastest. Find one and try.
miodek1987

Postby oriole » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:38 pm

I guess I am not making myself clear.
I am not using a browser for the preview, I am talking about the HTML page loading in Webuilder. If I have the page for the CSS open at the same time as the HTML page, and then make and save a change to the CSS (style sheet), it takes forever for the HTML page to open again in the preview mode so I can see if the change worked.
As you would expect this is very slow when trying to write the style sheet. I am not sure why I even have to save the change to the style sheet to see it in the HTML, but I guess just going between pages isn't up dating the change.
I have been taking all the style sheet code and putting it on the HTML page, so the page will update with every change and then cutting and pasting it back onto to it's CSS page. This is a labor intensive way to do it.
I am also still having a problem with colors. I have posted on this before. I have a menu list one my page that should show up as dark brown text before you would select the link, but the text is showing up as the visited color. This is in Firefox and not in IE or Chrome. This also doesn't show up in the browser preview for Firefox so until I upload the new page I can't tell if I have fixed the problem. I have given up trying to fix it and the problem in Webuilder doesn't make it any easier.
oriole

Postby pmk65 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:01 pm

Your color problem sounds like a styling issue.
An A tag (link) has 3 states which you can style independently:

":hover" - When the mouse is above the link.
":active" - When a link is clicked.
":visited" - When you have visited the page before.

And depending on the order of your CSS, you might be overwriting the main A styling.

As for your preview problems, I suggest you take a look at PrePros. It works perfectly in combination with the editor, and offers automatic browser refresh whenever you save a file in the project.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
pmk65

Postby Aivars » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:28 pm

You can open split preview for the CSS file and specify it to use the HTML page instead of "Generate preview file", then the preview will update as soon as you change anything in the CSS file.
Also you can press F5 to trigger the refresh of the preview manually.
Blumentals Software Programmer
Aivars
Blumentals Software Developer

Postby oriole » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:14 am

Yes I know I can view in a split window, but that is the code and the preview not the Css and the html preview.
Anyway, things seem to be getting worse, as loading my index page without having the style sheet open is also loading so slow I want to throw the computer out the window. I shouldn't have to wait a minute for this to load and then wait again when I make a change. I added a new list item, and just switching to the preview took about 90 seconds. This it the only program I have that loads slow like this. It has been going on for months. I am not a professional dev. I just use this for my own website. I don't use this program more than once every two months, so I know I have been having this problem since Dec of last year.
To the other person who was kind enough to answer I also know about the links, what I am saying is that in Firefox the visited state color is the color that shows up all the time even when I get rid of the cookies and refresh, you may be right about the css over riding something so I will check it out. I'm still confused as to why it shows up correct in IE and Chrome but not Firefox. The hoover state shows the correct color in all three browsers.
This slow loading is what I need fixed, ideas anyone?
oriole

Postby oriole » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:27 am

I just tried to uninstall and reinstall with no change in opening pages. I counted one-1000 up to 26 before the index opened. Every single time I try to change anything even with the split screen it lags and now is starting to crash. If you wait for about 2 minutes it will sometimes come back on. I am fed up and don't see any reason to purchase the 2015 version if this one won't work. :(
oriole

Postby kfury77 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:37 pm

Hi Oriole - are the linked CSS files on your local computer or being served over HTTP from a server?
Could you maybe share the HTML file you are working on so we could look for clues to why this is happening?

UPDATE: Cool - I see that this issue is resolved now as you also posted in the Support forum. As this post isn't a feature reequest, I'll move this post there too.
kfury77

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Support