[RESOLVED] Rapid PHP 2016 loses focus when autocomplete used

Post your questions and problem reports here

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please try to follow these guidelines. This will help to receive faster and more accurate response.

• Check the Support section of the corresponding product first. Chances are you will find your answer there;
  • Do not create new topics for already reported problems. Add your comments to the existing topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each problem request. Do NOT post a number of non-related problem reports in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Titles such as "A question," "Bug report" and "Help!" provide others no clue what your message is about;
  • Include the version number of the software you are using;
  • This is not an official customer support helpdesk. If you need a prompt and official response, please contact our support team directly instead. It may take a while until you receive a reply in the forum;

[RESOLVED] Rapid PHP 2016 loses focus when autocomplete used

Postby DaveMorton » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:00 pm

I've been experiencing a rather vexing inconvenience these past couple of days with Rapid PHP 2016 on my Windows 10 machine, in that every time autocomplete inserts code or text into my currently used document, the window loses focus, and I find that I'm no longer typing. I notice from this thread that HTMLpad had/has the same issue, so I was wondering if any any fix that has been/will be applied to that program might also be viable as a fix for Rapid PHP. Right now, it's to the point that I've actually turned autocomplete off because the inconvenience of this loss of focus far outweighs the convenience of using the autocomplete feature.
Last edited by DaveMorton on Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveMorton

Re: Rapid PHP 2016 loses focus when autocomplete is used

Postby davispe » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:43 pm

I thought I was the only one with this issue. Very frustrating. Didn't have this problem in RapidPHP 2015 only after upgrading to 2016.
davispe

Postby Aivars » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:53 am

Can you give me steps to reproduce this? Simply using auto-complete does not cause focus problems for me. If I can find a way to reproduce this issue, we will fix it.
Blumentals Software Programmer
Aivars
Blumentals Software Developer

Postby DaveMorton » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:25 pm

Certainly. When editing or creating a JavaScript file, simply typing 'var' (ignore the quotes) to declare a variable brings up the autocomplete suggestions tip. When I hit the spacebar to try to put in the variable name that I'm declaring, the window loses focus. Oddly enough, hitting the Tab or Enter keys don't produce this issue; only the spacebar. But the effect is 100% reproducible for me with the use of the spacebar. When editing a PHP file, the same thing occurs when trying to write a new function. If I change the autocomplete delay setting to 800ms, the issue becomes easier to deal with, in that if I type fast enough to prevent the autocomplete tip from popping up I don't get the problem.

One thing that I'm noticing is that if the file I'm working on isn't docked to the IDE (e.g. if I've pulled it out of the editor as an undocked window) the issue doesn't seem to manifest. I hope this helps
DaveMorton

Postby Aivars » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:29 pm

I'm doing the same but the focus isn't lost. Can you make screenshot so that I can try to copy your layout?
Aivars

Postby Aivars » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:30 pm

Aivars wrote:I'm doing the same but the focus isn't lost. Can you make screenshot so that I can try to copy your layout?

A video would be even better.
Aivars

Postby DaveMorton » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:31 pm

I'm not 100% sure that I can get Windows 10's video capture to work with Rapid PHP, but I can certainly provide a screenshot:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mrwiscinkyxa8 ... 6.png?dl=0

[edit]
It seems that my Radeon HD 7800 video card isn't compatible with Windows 10's gamebar with respect to creating video clips, but I may have another option. If I can make a video of the phenomenon I'll post a new reply with a YouTube or Twitch link.
[/edit]
DaveMorton

Postby DaveMorton » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:28 pm

I was able to make a video of the issue, but due to limitations with the video capture software (OBS), the autocomplete window/tooltip/whatever is not visible, nor is the cursor when Rapid PHP doesn't have focus.

https://youtu.be/ZCujwoGgnKw

BTW the [youtube] tags aren't working for some reason. I was hoping to embed the video directly into the page, but alas, I could not. :(
DaveMorton

Postby DaveMorton » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:28 pm

In order to provide better information, I need to add that the issue also occurs when the escape or backspace keys are used, in addition to the spacebar. I only just noticed this aspect of the problem just a few moments ago, so I thought it would be a good idea to update the thread. :)
DaveMorton

Postby Aivars » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:29 am

It's interesting that the cursor is not lost in the video. And why space and not the other keys? It's certainly strange and we'll try to reproduce this.

Just to make sure it's not this: do you use any plugins?
Aivars

Postby DaveMorton » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:12 am

Nope! No plugins used.
DaveMorton

Postby Aivars » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:01 pm

Ok, I think we'll need to dig deep to figure this one out. I want to get to the bottom of this issue, but I might need to connect to your PC (with your supervision) and check it out myself. I'm going to write a little tool that tells us what is focused at all times and see what exactly is stealing the focus. If you think that can be arranged, please PM me your Skype (or any other chat app) contact name.
Aivars

Postby DaveMorton » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:32 pm

PM sent. thanks for looking into this.
DaveMorton

Postby Aivars » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:53 am

To resume, this was caused by 3rd party applications that added additional buttons to title bar of WeBuilder (next to Windows standard minimize, maximize, close buttons). The Build 183 has a workaround built in to try to guard against this.
Aivars

Postby DaveMorton » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:25 pm

Thank you, Aivars. I just downloaded the latest build, but won't be able to check it out until tomorrow, as I have other duties to attend to. I'll post back once I've tested it to report my findings.
DaveMorton

Next

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Support