Floating windows "always on top" issue *RapidPHP 2016*

Post your questions and problem reports here

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please try to follow these guidelines. This will help to receive faster and more accurate response.

• Check the Support section of the corresponding product first. Chances are you will find your answer there;
  • Do not create new topics for already reported problems. Add your comments to the existing topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each problem request. Do NOT post a number of non-related problem reports in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Titles such as "A question," "Bug report" and "Help!" provide others no clue what your message is about;
  • Include the version number of the software you are using;
  • This is not an official customer support helpdesk. If you need a prompt and official response, please contact our support team directly instead. It may take a while until you receive a reply in the forum;

Floating windows "always on top" issue *RapidPHP 2016*

Postby Hans Meiser » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:08 pm

Hi!

I use floating windows on my second monitor (main window on primary) and they are always cover other windows from other programs. That's logic and OK as long the focus is on RapidPHP. But to my annoyance, I found out, that floating windows stay "on top", even if another window is selected (i.e. when clicking into the other window). Sometimes, it helps to click once or mostly twice on the top (title) window border of the wanted window. But often, this doen't help either. Most of the time, I have to minimize RapidPHP, use the other window, then maximize RapidPHP. This is extremely annoying.
Any suggestions for that?

RapidPHP v14.1.0.185
Hans Meiser

Re: Floating windows "always on top" issue *RapidPHP 2016*

Postby Aivars » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:44 am

Is there some step-by-step way to reproduce this problem? Maybe a video? I tried to reproduce the issue on Windows 10 but couldn't so some extra instructions would help.
Blumentals Software Programmer
Aivars
Blumentals Software Developer

Postby Hans Meiser » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:09 am

Step-by-step ... ? Well, just open up RapidPHP on primary monitor, float windows on the second monitor and then open up some other programs, putting the windows also on the second monitor. Make RapidPHP active and then try to bring the other windows to front by clicking into the windows.

Video? Seriously, a 3840x1200 video?

I can't imagine that no one else has this problem. The floating windows had a problem in the first place after release, maybe there are some more bugs left to be suqished ...
Last edited by Hans Meiser on Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hans Meiser

Postby MikeyB » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:56 am

Just tried this myself on Windows 10 and could not reproduce the problem.

As soon as I activate another window on my second monitor the floating windows from WeBuilder go behind, even if WeBuilder is still the active window on my primary monitor.

I know I'm using WeBuilder 2016 not RapidPHP 2016 but I'd have thought the code for handling the windows would be the same.
MikeyB
Top Contributor

Postby kfury77 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:09 pm

Hans Meiser wrote:Video? Seriously, a 3840x1200 video?

Well, you could record a HD video of it from a smartphone
kfury77

Postby Hans Meiser » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:06 pm

Any news on this issue?
Also, the anoying behaviour of the cursor I mentioned in this thread is still present. Two years since then and no change ... ?
Hans Meiser

Postby Aivars » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:29 pm

We can't reproduce this issue so there is no way for us to fix it for now. If we get enough information to be able to have this problem occur on our own computers, only then we will be able to fix it (otherwise we wouldn't know whether it's fixed).
Aivars

Postby Hans Meiser » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:45 am

Well ... the information is:
"Flaoting windows on the second monitor behave like "always on top" compared to other windows on the second monitor".
There isn't any more information besides that this behaviour shows after some time when working and switching between different windows.
http://owncloud.optical-circuit.com/index.php/s/WFxHrOoXrNlnNfI

I know how hard it is for developers to find bugs (I'm myself an developer), but unfortunately there is not much more info to say.
Hans Meiser

Postby Aivars » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:25 am

So far I haven't been able to get this always-on top behavior but I'll replicate your layout and try using the editor like that for a while.
Aivars

Postby Hans Meiser » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:37 am

Thanks for trying. Unfortunately, I can't say when this happens, as I have a non-linar workflow, so writing, switching and other stuff happens mostly random, but eventually (can't tell a time span) I can't get other windows in front. CTRL-Tab also doesn't work.
I just can tell, that when this happens, I'm very frustrated as it blocks my workflow ... :(
Hans Meiser

Postby Hans Meiser » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:52 am

Anything new on this topic? Slowly but surely this really drives me mad ... :evil:
Hans Meiser

Postby Aivars » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:26 am

I don't see any way to fix it without being able to reproduce the issue. If you could find any way to do it (even if it's hacky or strange or not guaranteed to cause the issue 100% but 20% of time) that would help me a lot.
Aivars

Postby Hans Meiser » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:07 am

Aivars wrote:I don't see any way to fix it without being able to reproduce the issue. If you could find any way to do it (even if it's hacky or strange or not guaranteed to cause the issue 100% but 20% of time) that would help me a lot.

Like I several times wrote, just make floating windows as a layout and the problem will eventually noticed. Those floating windows will stay on top eventually. There is nothing more I could point out.
The funny part is, this also already happened almost right after the start of RapidPHP.

Anyway, since you are not able to fix this issue, I changed my layout and instead of floating windows, I docked all the windows I need in an similar manner. It's not perfect, but it works now like it should and my nerves are getting calm again.
Very sad, because I can't image that I'm the only dual screen user with this issue.
Hans Meiser

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Support