HTMLPad 2005 Pro has problems with Preview

Post your questions and problem reports here

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please try to follow these guidelines. This will help to receive faster and more accurate response.

• Check the Support section of the corresponding product first. Chances are you will find your answer there;
  • Do not create new topics for already reported problems. Add your comments to the existing topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each problem request. Do NOT post a number of non-related problem reports in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Titles such as "A question," "Bug report" and "Help!" provide others no clue what your message is about;
  • Include the version number of the software you are using;
  • This is not an official customer support helpdesk. If you need a prompt and official response, please contact our support team directly instead. It may take a while until you receive a reply in the forum;

Postby Karlis » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:34 pm

Ok, will take a look.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby mmo » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:49 am

Yep - I can confirm this. I also did the right click thingy and the URL reads:
res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm#file://C:\MyProjects\html\prev0~.html

(that's the normal IE error page indicating it had problems with the URL "file://C:\MyProjects\html\prev0~.html")

Looking for the file "C:\MyProjects\html\prev0~.html" shows, that this file does not (any more) exist, which I presume is the reason for the error I am seeing.

I also tried to fiddle with the option Preferences => Preview => General => "Preview documents without saving" but checking/unchecking that option does not seem to make any difference here...

Question: why does the file mentioned disappear (or not get written)?

Michael
mmo

Postby mmo » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:23 pm

I seem to have found a solution for my problem:
In the Preview setting "temporary folder" I entered C:\Temp (that field was previously empty) and - strange enough - since then I have no more problems. So there obviously is some problem - at least on my system - when this is left empty.

I would have assumed, that in that case the location would default to the current user's temp folder (C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Temp) or to %Sysroot%\Temp (= C:\Windows\Temp)...

Win XP seems to be a bit confused re. temp folders anyway. Each application seems to use a different one...
mmo

Postby Karlis » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:33 pm

I'll try to check this anyway... Because it should use the real Windows XP temp folder by default.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby chrisjlocke » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:56 pm

mmo wrote:I seem to have found a solution for my problem:
In the Preview setting "temporary folder" I entered C:\Temp

That didn't solve my issue ... I'd already got c:\tmp as my setting. :(
chrisjlocke
Top Contributor

Previous