Crash report -> Code line number

Post your questions and problem reports here

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please try to follow these guidelines. This will help to receive faster and more accurate response.

• Check the Support section of the corresponding product first. Chances are you will find your answer there;
  • Do not create new topics for already reported problems. Add your comments to the existing topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each problem request. Do NOT post a number of non-related problem reports in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Titles such as "A question," "Bug report" and "Help!" provide others no clue what your message is about;
  • Include the version number of the software you are using;
  • This is not an official customer support helpdesk. If you need a prompt and official response, please contact our support team directly instead. It may take a while until you receive a reply in the forum;

Crash report -> Code line number

Postby pmk65 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:39 pm

Is there any way to "translate" the WeBuilder crash report into a code line number?
As I sometimes have a problem tracking down a crashing error, due to the crash report isn't designed for "mortals" :D
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
pmk65

Re: Crash report -> Code line number

Postby Aivars » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:50 am

Unfortunately FastScript doesn't make it easy. The closest thing to finding the problem is to put the suspicious blocks in try..except like so:

Code: Select all
  try {
    B = nil; //make it crash deliberately
    B.SetSize(10, 10);
  } except {
    alert(ExceptionClassName + "\n" + ExceptionMessage);
  }

But it does not give the line number. To get the line number, too, I would have to crack open the FastScript library but that makes upgrading and future maintenance more difficult. Maybe at some point.
Blumentals Software Programmer
Aivars
Blumentals Software Developer

Postby pmk65 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:54 pm

The problem is that I don't know what part of the code it is that is crashing. Im not even sure it's my code as the crashes is not consistent. (It's my most complex plugin to date so it's bound to crash during development.)
It might be a Beta 5 problem that is causing the crashes I get at the moment, but Im not sure. (I don't want to spam you with unnecessary 2018 beta bugreports)
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
pmk65

Postby Aivars » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:14 pm

This wasn't easy but I managed to add code line numbers to crash report without changing the scripting library. In next beta you will be able to see suspected line in the crash report.

stacktrace.png
stacktrace.png (60.54 KiB) Viewed 3071 times
Blumentals Software Programmer
Aivars
Blumentals Software Developer

Postby pmk65 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:21 pm

GREAT JOB! This is really helpful when writing/debugging plugins..
pmk65

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Support