RAPID - Entering Strings

Post your questions and problem reports here

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please try to follow these guidelines. This will help to receive faster and more accurate response.

• Check the Support section of the corresponding product first. Chances are you will find your answer there;
  • Do not create new topics for already reported problems. Add your comments to the existing topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each problem request. Do NOT post a number of non-related problem reports in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Titles such as "A question," "Bug report" and "Help!" provide others no clue what your message is about;
  • Include the version number of the software you are using;
  • This is not an official customer support helpdesk. If you need a prompt and official response, please contact our support team directly instead. It may take a while until you receive a reply in the forum;

RAPID - Entering Strings

Postby Will Fastie » Tue May 15, 2018 8:20 am

There are a couple of odd behaviors having to do with typing strings in the editor. Consider the following string and note that the behaviors described here are the same whether using single or double quotes.

Code: Select all
"Will"

1. As expected, if the string including the quotes is selected and something else is typed, the new typing replaces the string in its entirety. However, if the string is selected and a quote mark is typed, Rapid turns the selection off and advances the cursor to after the first quote. I believe this is incorrect; no matter what is typed, the selected string should be replaced.

2. Place the cursor after the word "Will" and type a backslash followed by a quote mark. Rapid advances the cursor past the trailing quote. However, the backslash is the string's escape character, so the character following it should not be matched with the closing quote mark.
Will
WebDesignBuild.biz, Fastie.com
Will Fastie

Re: RAPID - Entering Strings

Postby Aivars » Tue May 15, 2018 10:49 am

I cannot reproduce (1). Please try removing all plugins and try again - does it still happen?

(2) is tricky because backslash is an escape character in some languages (PHP, JS) but in others it's not (HTML). I'll add this to suggestions but it will require more careful analysis.
Blumentals Software Programmer
Aivars
Blumentals Software Developer

Postby Will Fastie » Tue May 22, 2018 10:00 pm

1. Still happens with all plugins disabled. Do you want me to try removing them all?

2. I'm sorry to say I don't follow your reasoning on this. The editor is either language-aware or it isn't. If it's handling a PHP file, it should follow the rules for PHP strings even if that happens to be different than some other language.

This leads me to a more general comment about bracket matching (because I'm sure that's what is going on with the handling of quote marks in my case). I find that Rapid adds the closing bracket even when it probably shouldn't not. For example, if I have the expression

function(argument);

and I want to wrap it with another function, I place the cursor in front of "function" and start to type the name of the other function. Once I enter the opening parenthesis, I get closure:

other()function(argument);

Clearly what I'm after is just getting the opening parenthesis, after which I will navigate to the end and add the closure.
Will
WebDesignBuild.biz, Fastie.com
Will Fastie

Postby Aivars » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:43 am

Could you make a video that demonstrates (1)? I've tried it in multiple ways and I might be missing something here.
Blumentals Software Programmer
Aivars
Blumentals Software Developer

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Support