Delete with no confirmation

Post your questions and problem reports here

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please try to follow these guidelines. This will help to receive faster and more accurate response.

• Check the Support section of the corresponding product first. Chances are you will find your answer there;
  • Do not create new topics for already reported problems. Add your comments to the existing topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each problem request. Do NOT post a number of non-related problem reports in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Titles such as "A question," "Bug report" and "Help!" provide others no clue what your message is about;
  • Include the version number of the software you are using;
  • This is not an official customer support helpdesk. If you need a prompt and official response, please contact our support team directly instead. It may take a while until you receive a reply in the forum;

Delete with no confirmation

Postby ArnorBld » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:36 pm

Hi all,

I'm using Rapid PHP 2018 build 15.1.0.203.

Yesterday I right clicked on a file tab in the editor with the intention of using the "Close All" command. Wasn't paying attention and I accidentally clicked on the "Delete" menu item instead and observed as the file on my drive was deleted with no warning whatsoever! I had backups and had only done very minor work on it, so I could easily recover, but I'm concerned that the file was deleted from disk with no warning at all! On the plus side it WAS put in the trash bin, so I could have recovered it. See https://www.screencast.com/t/yIetPi9MQ1j how it works. The same happens if you right click on the file in the file list and select "Delete" - the file is then deleted with no warning. I can't see any setting anywhere in regards to force confirmation for delete. IMO, deleting a file from disk should always be confirmed by the user.

Best regards,
Arnor Baldvinsson - Icetips Alta LLC
ArnorBld

Re: Delete with no confirmation

Postby pmk65 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:49 pm

+1
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
pmk65

Postby Aivars » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:39 pm

You can edit the tab context menu and remove Delete command from there. Personally, I don't like having it there either, but sometimes we can't all agree :)

Click menu Options -> Customize Tab Menu, then you can remove Delete item.

customzietabmenu.png
customzietabmenu.png (25.64 KiB) Viewed 6405 times
Blumentals Software Programmer
Aivars
Blumentals Software Developer

Postby Will Fastie » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:09 am

ArnorBld wrote: IMO, deleting a file from disk should always be confirmed by the user.

Confirmations have saved me more times than I'd like to admit. I agree with this.

+1.
Will
WebDesignBuild.biz, Fastie.com
Will Fastie

Postby Aivars » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:46 am

Windows settings are respected to determine whether delete confirmation should be displayed for files. To change this setting and enable confirmation dialog, right click Recycle Bin on your desktop, select Properties and enable Display delete confirmation dialog checkbox.
Aivars

Postby Will Fastie » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:05 pm

Aivars wrote:Windows settings ...

I can't agree with this.
Will
Will Fastie

Postby dave » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:51 pm

IMHO all good software design will obtain confirmation before a destructive action is undertaken. It shouldn't rely on the OS.
dave

Postby Will Fastie » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:07 pm

dave wrote:IMHO all good software design will obtain confirmation before a destructive action is undertaken. It shouldn't rely on the OS.

Right, but I think there is a delicate balance based on what is lost in an accidental deletion. For some, simply-recovered things my clients complain about the extra step. I went to far as to add protection - the client can mark an item protected and then the one- or two-click delete operations are not available for that item. It must be edited again to remove protection, then deleted. Any item that offers protection always has delete confirmation, so I figure if a client has edited to remove protection then confirmed deletion, they really want whatever it is gone.

I haven't had any complaints for the last few years, so I think I managed to strike that balance in my own little niche.

For source code files that may be the creation of much effort over many years, I think delete confirmation is necessary. But I don't want to enforce that across all apps on the OS.
Will
Will Fastie

Postby Aivars » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:59 pm

It will ask a confirmation when a destructive action is taken because I works just like Windows Explorer. When you move a file to Recycle Bin, you don't get assaulted by confirmations since you can restore the file easily but if you delete from e.g. network drive or USB drive that doesn't have a Recycle Bin then the confirmation will be shown.
Again, if you are worried about this, you can turn on these confirmations in Recycle Bin properties.
Aivars

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Support