Deteriming server name/location

Post your questions and problem reports here

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please try to follow these guidelines. This will help to receive faster and more accurate response.

• Check the Support section of the corresponding product first. Chances are you will find your answer there;
  • Do not create new topics for already reported problems. Add your comments to the existing topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each problem request. Do NOT post a number of non-related problem reports in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Titles such as "A question," "Bug report" and "Help!" provide others no clue what your message is about;
  • Include the version number of the software you are using;
  • This is not an official customer support helpdesk. If you need a prompt and official response, please contact our support team directly instead. It may take a while until you receive a reply in the forum;

Deteriming server name/location

Postby HeadElf » Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:13 am

I can't get preview to work using my local server. I can get it to work if I use an ftp server and put my files online, but as I do programming for a multitude of sites, that's really cumbersome.

How do I determine my server name/location. I have IIS server and php installed. I need to troubleshoot this and make it work.

Thanks.
HeadElf
HeadElf

Fixed, but preview produces errors.

Postby HeadElf » Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:49 am

Got it! I managed to find the magic combination of items that makes the local server bit work. Interestingly enough, though, the php stuff doesn't work completely. I got the following errors for pages that work perfectly on the online website:

Opening page error: Notice: Undefined variable: inc in D:\ActiveWebfiles\Axwood Website\SecretSantaFiles\index.php on line 27

Interestingly enough, inc is the variable that contains the code for which page is included. It's the absense of $inc which causes the homepage to be included, which it is.

First error, linked page: Notice: Use of undefined constant thisfile - assumed 'thisfile' in D:\ActiveWebfiles\Axwood Website\SecretSantaFiles\Admin.php on line 3

Actually, the session variable 'thisfile' is defined in the parent document. Does the internal browser not track session variables? I'll try it with my own browser and see.

Second error: Notice: Undefined variable: PHP_SELF in D:\ActiveWebfiles\Axwood Website\SecretSantaFiles\Admin.php on line 3

The is very much the same type error as the first. In php, the file you're on is always $PHP_SELF, yet it's not recognized by the browser.

Third and final error: Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at D:\ActiveWebfiles\Axwood Website\SecretSantaFiles\Admin.php:3) in D:\ActiveWebfiles\Axwood Website\SecretSantaFiles\Admin.php on line 6

What can I say? Works perfectly online. Doesn't work locally. I'm pretty sure it's still tied to the same stuff. Same line of code producing the barf.

Any thoughts on why variables aren't working? This is pretty weird.
HeadElf
HeadElf

Postby Karlis » Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:42 pm

I'm sure this is completely related to PHP and its configuration. What the editor does is simply to execure your file addresses inside the preview browser.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby HeadElf » Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:50 pm

Yeah, I was pretty sure that was the issue. I'd just hoped someone else had run into something similar and could point me somewhere for answers.

Interestingly enough, the includes work, but variables aren't being transmitted or recognized. Subsequent testing proves I get the same issue in the browser.

Thanks.

HeadElf
HeadElf
HeadElf

Postby Karlis » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:06 pm

Aren't you trying to access outside variables inside a function? I really have no clue what could this be. Sometimes PHP may be pretty tricky. :?
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby HeadElf » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:51 pm

Nope. The problem has got to be the php setup. I get the error whether I'm testing to see if the variable exists or if I'm attemtping to send a variable (variable never gets set). The programming works perfectly online, just not locally. It's got to be a php setting, I just don't know which.

HeadElf
HeadElf
HeadElf

Postby Elygen » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:59 am

Is the php version on your local machine the same as the version on your server?
Elygen

Postby HeadElf » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:51 am

Hmm. Don't know. I'll have to check.

HeadElf
HeadElf
HeadElf

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Support