WeBuilder Keyboard Shortcuts / Dotfiles

Post your questions and problem reports here

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please try to follow these guidelines. This will help to receive faster and more accurate response.

• Check the Support section of the corresponding product first. Chances are you will find your answer there;
  • Do not create new topics for already reported problems. Add your comments to the existing topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each problem request. Do NOT post a number of non-related problem reports in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Titles such as "A question," "Bug report" and "Help!" provide others no clue what your message is about;
  • Include the version number of the software you are using;
  • This is not an official customer support helpdesk. If you need a prompt and official response, please contact our support team directly instead. It may take a while until you receive a reply in the forum;

WeBuilder Keyboard Shortcuts / Dotfiles

Postby Geek On The Hill » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:03 pm

Good Morning / Afternoon / Evening, as the case may be.

Is there a list of the built-in keyboard shortcuts for WeBuilder somewhere on the Interwebs? I found out how to add new ones, but I think it wise to know which ones already exist first.

Also, is there a way to create dotted directories and files in WeBuilder? I know how to do it in CMD, but I'm wondering if that functionality is built in to the application somewhere.

I'd also like to say that WeBuilder is probably the best software bargain I've gotten in a very long time. I'm a refugee from Adobe Dreamweaver, which I used for many, many years until I got sick of Adobe's perpetual ransom model. If any of the developers are ever in Delaware County, New York, I owe you a dinner on me. What a fine piece of software it is, and at a very fair price with no perpetual ransom payments. I'm spreading the word to other refugees.

Thanks,

Richard
Geek On The Hill

Re: WeBuilder Keyboard Shortcuts / Dotfiles

Postby pmk65 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:16 pm

Try opening the file %AppData%\Blumentals\WeBuilder\settings\keyboard.ini in the editor.
That's the config file for the keyboard shortcuts. "ACT..." is the editor action triggered by the shortcut.

As for dotted file/folders, I don't think it's possible as the editor uses Windows GUI which for some reason still doesn't allow that. :P
But you can setup an external command in the editor to open up a command prompt in the current folder. Then you can do it manually.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
pmk65

Postby Geek On The Hill » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:28 pm

Okay, thank you. That's very helpful. :D

Richard
Geek On The Hill

Postby pmk65 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:31 pm

Another option is to create a custom plugin for creating dotted files/folders. Check the plugins forum for existing plugin examples etc.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
pmk65

Postby Geek On The Hill » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:45 pm

It's pretty bizarre that the Windows GUI doesn't allow it considering that it can be done from CMD, and especially considering that .NET also uses dotfiles. They're not just a Unix thing. I never really gave it much thought before because DW does create dotfiles. I just assumed they made some registry hack in Windows to allow it. But obviously I was wrong. It's done at application level.

I may just write that plugin. I'm a bit busy right now with some re-writes of my own old sites and PHP 7 updates for people who waited too long to update their code. But it really shouldn't be that hard to do and would be pretty useful, especially when building brand-new sites. If no one else does it before I have the time, I'll take a stab at it.

Richard
Geek On The Hill

Postby pmk65 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:48 pm

One of my plugins might do the job for you. viewtopic.php?t=6966&p=24322#p24322
pmk65

Postby Geek On The Hill » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:56 pm

Okay, thanks. I'll give it a try when I'm done with the stuff I have to finish today.

Richard
Geek On The Hill

Postby Aivars » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:04 pm

The way to list the shortcut keys from GUI is via menu Options -> Keyboard Shortcuts. You can sort by Shortcut to see is the combination you planned to use is taken.

To create dotted files, use File Explorer (menu View -> File Explorer), right click the file list -> New File -> enter name e.g. .htaccess. I don't know how to create .folder, we're using Windows Explorer interface for that and it's not allowing to do it.
Blumentals Software Programmer
Aivars
Blumentals Software Developer

Postby Geek On The Hill » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:29 pm

Thank you.

To create a dotted directory ("folder" in Windows), open a command prompt, CD into the parent directory of the directory you want to create, and issue the following command (where ".newfolder" is the folder you want to create):

Code: Select all
mkdir .newfolder

And that's that. Why they never integrated it into the GUI, I have no idea.

Richard
Geek On The Hill

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Support