Seeking to 'Find in Files' references from Messages window

Post your questions and problem reports here

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please try to follow these guidelines. This will help to receive faster and more accurate response.

• Check the Support section of the corresponding product first. Chances are you will find your answer there;
  • Do not create new topics for already reported problems. Add your comments to the existing topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each problem request. Do NOT post a number of non-related problem reports in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Titles such as "A question," "Bug report" and "Help!" provide others no clue what your message is about;
  • Include the version number of the software you are using;
  • This is not an official customer support helpdesk. If you need a prompt and official response, please contact our support team directly instead. It may take a while until you receive a reply in the forum;

Seeking to 'Find in Files' references from Messages window

Postby blurble » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:38 pm

There seems to be a problem as follows:

* Do a 'Find in Files' search using text that will be found multiple times in a single file.
* When the messages window opens and shows the results, double-click the first item to go to the line where the text was found.
* Change the text that was found on that line.
* Double-click the next item in the Messages window (which should reference the same file).
* The cursor does not move to that line.

It seems as though any Messages entries that reference a line that is below the line that is changed will work, so if you change the line referenced by the n'th item in the messages window, the n'th+1, etc, item cannot be found by double-clicking its messages entry.

This makes it a pain if you were doing a search for items in order to change them. You basically have to do multiple searches.
blurble

Postby blurble » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:43 am

Actually, the problem with jumping to lines where a search string was found seems to occur in other cases as well.

I searched my project for 'date' and it found several in the same file. I could only jump to the first couple of instances by double-clicking the entries in the Messages window. Clicking the others didn't do anything.

Any chance this will be fixed soon?
blurble

Postby Karlis » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:59 pm

This is not abug, it is normal operation.

If you want to be able to modify the file manually (without using search and replace), it must be done in another way:

Please *disable* the "display detailed results" option in Find in Files. Now with a simple results list to walk through the results do this: a) double click the search result item b) just hit F3 key or click Find Next to move to the next occurrence ... or just double click the search result again.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby blurble » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:37 pm

Sorry, but I think there is a bug here somewhere.

I understand that if the file is altered then the detailed search results become invalid, however in the case I mention in my second post (searching for 'date') I did not alter the file, and yet it still would not jump to most of the occurances it found. It doesn't happen all the time, but I have noticed it a couple of times now.

I must say I was surprised that altering the file invalidated the search results listed in the message window. All the editors that I use frequently (CodeWright, Delphi/CBuilder, Visual Studio) cope with changes to the file, including lines being inserted and removed. I guess they must use something akin to a bookmark, rather than just a simple reference to a line number. Even if it jumped to the original line rather than not jumping anywhere would be more useful. Perhaps this could be added as a future enhancement?
blurble

Postby Karlis » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:47 pm

Some time ago when this was designed we took visual studio as an example and at that time it worked the way as WeBuilder now.

Anyway, the non-detailed results did work, right? Second thought - if you use Find and replace in files then this should work very good as well, but I guess you prefer to replace by hand.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby blurble » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:39 pm

I guess it must have been a very old version of Visual Studio. Version 6.0 works 'properly', and it was released in 1998!

Please don't think I am being nasty about this. I think this is one of very few areas where WeBuilder could be made better.

I mainly use it to find where, say, a function is called throughout every file in a project, and I look at each one and maybe change some but not all, so a simple Find and Replace is not suitable.

I would also like to suggest two enhancements to the Find in Files:
1. Have another radio button to only look in the currently opened documents.
2. Display the text of each line in the detailed results, next to the file and line number. This is also what visual studio, and others do, and it makes it so you often don't need to go to the actual line in the file because you can see it is not exactly what you are looking for.
blurble

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Support