Keyboard input on preview goes to code editor

Post your questions and problem reports here

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please try to follow these guidelines. This will help to receive faster and more accurate response.

• Check the Support section of the corresponding product first. Chances are you will find your answer there;
  • Do not create new topics for already reported problems. Add your comments to the existing topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each problem request. Do NOT post a number of non-related problem reports in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Titles such as "A question," "Bug report" and "Help!" provide others no clue what your message is about;
  • Include the version number of the software you are using;
  • This is not an official customer support helpdesk. If you need a prompt and official response, please contact our support team directly instead. It may take a while until you receive a reply in the forum;

Keyboard input on preview goes to code editor

Postby blurble » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:44 pm

I notice that when you switch to the Preview tab and then type on the keyboard, the text is added to the code editor, which of course mucks up your code. This is especially noticable if the page has no forms, but even if the page has a form I have been able to somehow move away from the form and the characters I type, thinking they are going to form input box, actually go to the code editor.

Shouldn't the input be directed to the preview window, not the code editor?
blurble

Postby blurble » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:48 am

This is really very annoying. I have a JavaScript that sets the focus to the first editable field on the first form on a page. When you switch to Preview you can see the caret blink once or twice in the appropriate field and then disappear. Focus has now been set to the Code Editor, so when you think you are typing into the form you are actually typing into your code.

I really like WeBuilder but this problem is driving me batty! Any chance of a fix soon?
blurble

Postby syrupcore » Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:57 am

sorry, I have no solution for you but why not just test in a browser?

ctrl+s, alt+tab, ctrl+r

feels like one keystroke after a while. :)

Will
syrupcore
Top Contributor

just an observation

Postby MoeBass » Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:58 am

I wasn't sure where to put this comment.
I looked in the help files for how to switch from editor tab to preview tab with a keystroke. I found in the Keyboard Shortcuts list that Ctrl+PgDn switches from editor tab into preview tab (and keeps going through the split views) while Ctrl+PgUp does the reverse. This is labeled as Next View and Previous View in the shortcuts list (which after a moment of reflection does make sense).
HTH-someone. 8)
-Moe
if, no matter where you go, nothing seems to change, maybe it's time to look at what you're bringing with you.
MoeBass

Postby blurble » Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:22 pm

Thanks for your replies.

I find switching to and from a separate browser a bit cumbersome, so I would prefer that the preview worked properly.

I notice that the Ctrl+Pageup/PageDown key combos also have problems. If the page you are previewing has a form, and a form control has the focus, then the key combos stop working. I guess the key input is going to the preview window and is not being picked up by WeBuilder, which is ironic because my problem is that usually the input goes to WeBuilder not the preview!
blurble

Postby syrupcore » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:18 am

I have to agree, it can be a bit cumbersome. one day karlis will make us a 'save and preview in my default browser' shortcut. ;)

I guess I test in the browser by default. I'm sure the preview code is clean but I just would rather remove webuilder as a variable as I'm testing code. it's gonna end up in the browser so that's where I test it.

Will
syrupcore
Top Contributor

Postby Karlis » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:38 pm

We are working on this, however it is not so easy, currently the workaround would be to actually click the form input field and then to input the data.

I'm sure we will get this right in one of the next releases.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Support