Can not save .css files when another file is using it

Post your questions and problem reports here

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please try to follow these guidelines. This will help to receive faster and more accurate response.

• Check the Support section of the corresponding product first. Chances are you will find your answer there;
  • Do not create new topics for already reported problems. Add your comments to the existing topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each problem request. Do NOT post a number of non-related problem reports in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Titles such as "A question," "Bug report" and "Help!" provide others no clue what your message is about;
  • Include the version number of the software you are using;
  • This is not an official customer support helpdesk. If you need a prompt and official response, please contact our support team directly instead. It may take a while until you receive a reply in the forum;

Can not save .css files when another file is using it

Postby catwebster » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:49 pm

I am using RapidPHP 2005 ver 6.3. I am viewing an html file which accesses a .css file. I am viewing the html file in the split screen function. Then I open the .css file to make changes to it, but can not save it as long as the html file is previewing it. I can open the .css file on it's own and make changes, but I need to also have the html file open and in preview mode so I can see my changes.

I am new to RapidPHP, but so far I love it!

Thanks,
Cat
catwebster

Postby Karlis » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:48 am

I am not sure that I understand what do you mean by "can not save it as long as the html file is previewing it". you did not describe any error messages or anything that would help us to determine the problem.

As far as I know, there should be no problems saving files unless they are locked by some other software. Please make sure the css file is not open in any other editor or program.

Thanks!
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby catwebster » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:36 pm

The error msg I get is: The file can not be saved with the specified name. Ensure that the file main.css is not Read-Only or specify different filename.

Try doing this:
Create a file named test1.html and put this code in it:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<title></title>
<link rel="stylesheet" href="main.css" type="text/css" />
</head>

<body>
<b class="c1">Welcome to this site</b>
</body>
</html>

Now, create a file named main.css and put this code in it:

b.c1 {color: #CCFF00; font-family: Arial; font-size: 80%}

Have both files open in Rapid PHP, and have test1.html open in Split Screen Hor so you can view the code and preview the page. Now, make changes to main.css like change the font color. Save the file and view test1.html to make sure your changes were made. Now, go back to main.css and make another change and try to save it. For me, I can not save it unless I do a File-Close on the test1.html file. If you can save main.css try making a couple more changes and viewing test1.html and see if you get the error message.

I hope you can help me and I hope this helps to clarify the problem.
catwebster

Postby Karlis » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:29 pm

This does not happen for me no matter what I try. Can anybody else try this, please, and share the results?
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Support