Preview not rendering ASP code

Post your questions and problem reports here

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please try to follow these guidelines. This will help to receive faster and more accurate response.

• Check the Support section of the corresponding product first. Chances are you will find your answer there;
  • Do not create new topics for already reported problems. Add your comments to the existing topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each problem request. Do NOT post a number of non-related problem reports in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Titles such as "A question," "Bug report" and "Help!" provide others no clue what your message is about;
  • Include the version number of the software you are using;
  • This is not an official customer support helpdesk. If you need a prompt and official response, please contact our support team directly instead. It may take a while until you receive a reply in the forum;

Preview not rendering ASP code

Postby doctorroe » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:39 pm

I have some classic ASP code that I need to have rendered via LOCALHOST in both the PREVIEW tabs and the LOCALHOST via Chrome. LOCALHOST IIS running and I get the splash page for LOCALHOST in Chrome. Not sure how to config the PREVIEW MAPPINGS or fix the issue. Issue is the code does not render in either preview, but instead just lists the code. Help??? :roll:
doctorroe

Re: Preview not rendering ASP code

Postby chrisjlocke » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:23 am

In what application - RapidPHP, WeBuilder.........?
chrisjlocke
Top Contributor

Postby doctorroe » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:05 pm

WeBuilder. Preview config works on simple HELLO WORLD in HTML, but not with ASP code.
doctorroe

Postby chrisjlocke » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:25 pm

Well, that makes sense. The preview window just displays HTML. ASP code requires processing - the same as PHP. The preview window can't show PHP either.
The easiest workaround is to edit the files on the server, so after each change, just refresh in your browser (which is pointing to the IIS server) and it should use the new files.
chrisjlocke
Top Contributor

Postby doctorroe » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:58 pm

Thanks, that is what I am doing BUT I hate to have that PREVIEW function NOT work! Sort of buying a tool set tto work on the car and you have all of these sockets without a socket wrench to fit them. Nice to have them, but can't use them!

I am using the older MS Expression Web 4 (free, but old) and it does about 50% of what WeBuilder does... BUT it also renders in preview of ASP code. Wish it had more features that WeBuilder has, but ......
doctorroe

Postby doctorroe » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:59 pm

So basically NO ONE has PREVIEW ASP working?
doctorroe

Postby chrisjlocke » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:10 pm

To preview ASP, you need to process it. It requires a server. Its code - its not 'compiled' like HTML (which isn't strictly a proper analogy, but for the purposes of this discussion, it's valid).
Even if you use something like Visual Studio, it still uses IIS to do the work. Not sure what you mean by 'no-one has preview ASP working'.
It's only possible to get PHP working via a plugin, but I don't believe you can do the same with ASP. This may be due to ASP being closed source compared to PHP being open-source, but I may be talking nonsense there... just guessing and mumbling to myself.
chrisjlocke
Top Contributor

Postby doctorroe » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:51 pm

Hi there, the way that the *preview* in MS Expression works is that it ignores the <% and scripting *stuff* of ASP and just renders the HTML. THat's all that we are interested in. NOT logic debugging, but more layout. I prefer the hand-ttools like this to CODE the HTML by hand with style of my creation, etc. I am only looking for positional and spacing vs ASP logic which I will test on the test site. SO there is really NO parsing and logic testing.....
doctorroe

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Support