newbie - preview pane question

Post your questions and problem reports here

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please try to follow these guidelines. This will help to receive faster and more accurate response.

• Check the Support section of the corresponding product first. Chances are you will find your answer there;
  • Do not create new topics for already reported problems. Add your comments to the existing topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each problem request. Do NOT post a number of non-related problem reports in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Titles such as "A question," "Bug report" and "Help!" provide others no clue what your message is about;
  • Include the version number of the software you are using;
  • This is not an official customer support helpdesk. If you need a prompt and official response, please contact our support team directly instead. It may take a while until you receive a reply in the forum;

newbie - preview pane question

Postby madhg » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:37 pm

I'm evaluating HTMLPad 6.3.0.58 - it has the features I want, notably tag inspectors for html and css.

But I immediately found what might be a bug: the preview toolbar does not have a "close" button; if you click the little "more buttons" arrows at the end, you get the close button and a greyed-out non-working "add or remove buttons" option.

Is this a bug? Are there (other) bugs?
madhg

Postby Karlis » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:26 am

There are no known bugs with this. Probably you do not see the Close button because your screen settings are non-standard, but it is there.

Just look at this screenshot:
http://www.blumentals.net/htmlpad/tour.php?id=13
You can clearly see that the close button is there.

But it is really even not necessary there, because you can close preview by clicking "Code Editor" tab at the bottom of the window.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby madhg » Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:19 am

As I said in my posting, the button is there but no matter how wide this pane is, it is only accessible through the "more buttons" arrow at the end. With no other s/ware do I get this kind of problem. That points to something with HTML-pad.

Furthermore, the Add/Remove buttons is greyed out. Can this be due to my screen settings? Or is it always greyed out, so that nobody can remove the "ruler" button?
madhg

Postby Bendis » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:16 pm

madhg,

maybe you should add a link to a screenshot of your desktop, so we can see your problem.

Did you try to reset you toolbar settings etc. back to default?
Bendis

Postby madhg » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:23 pm

In reply to Bendis: you can find a screenshot at http://www.zen22109.zen.co.uk/screenshot.jpg. The white rectangle with a cross and "add or remove buttons" only becomes visible when you click the little arrows right at the end of the toolbar. This is a user-interface device normally used only when there are too many buttons to fit into the space available for the toolbar. That doesn't seem to be the case here.

I had not changed the button/toobar setup. And it looks the same on two different machines. Which is relevant to a previous suggestion that the problem is due to "non-standard" screen settings.

You see that the "add/remove" buttons option is greyed out, so I cannot remove the "ruler" button, and the "close window" button is normally hidden until you click the tiny arrows at the end of the toolbar.

Of course Karlis is right that you can do without the "close window" button. And the whole issue is not really important - except that one bit of odd behaviour in software raises questions about the reliability.

I have bought HTML-pad anyway.

best wishes,
David
madhg

Postby Karlis » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:18 pm

Ok, I will increase the space in toolbar so that button does not get pushed out even on non-standard font dpis.

As for now a workaround would be to set screen font size to Normal and the dpi setting to 96dpi.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby madhg » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:43 pm

Karlis,

I changed back to Normal fonts, 96dpi, and spent some time changing fontsizes in the "Appearance" dialog of WinXP so that I can read the screen. There are still some things that are very uncomfortable to read, such as tiny text in dialogs like "Insert Image" for example.

It didn't help. http://www.zen22109.zen.co.uk/screenshot2.jpg and http://www.zen22109.zen.co.uk/settings.jpg
madhg

Postby syrupcore » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:37 pm

I wonder if that right side toolbar is creating the problem? the one with firefox, windows media player.. in http://www.zen22109.zen.co.uk/screenshot2.jpg

will
syrupcore
Top Contributor

Postby madhg » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:16 pm

syrupcore, no that toolbar is not the source of the problem. If I get rid of it, it makes no difference to the issue I reported.
madhg

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Support