SQL Setup

Post your questions and problem reports here

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please try to follow these guidelines. This will help to receive faster and more accurate response.

• Check the Support section of the corresponding product first. Chances are you will find your answer there;
  • Do not create new topics for already reported problems. Add your comments to the existing topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each problem request. Do NOT post a number of non-related problem reports in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Titles such as "A question," "Bug report" and "Help!" provide others no clue what your message is about;
  • Include the version number of the software you are using;
  • This is not an official customer support helpdesk. If you need a prompt and official response, please contact our support team directly instead. It may take a while until you receive a reply in the forum;

SQL Setup

Postby ielliott » Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:35 pm

Hi, I'm a new user still evaluating the software. I'm having trouble with errors while setting up a SQL connection.

It's a MySQL database on a remote server. I'm assuming that I should be able to do this, instead of setting up a local database. I've also downloaded and installed the correct database driver, per the instructions. (Tried MySQL 4.0+ and 4.1+ - my version is 4.1.9)

The error I'm getting is:
SQL Error: Can't conncet to MySQL server on 'domain.com' (10061)

In the hostname, I simply have mydomain.com - I'm not sure what else it would be...

Thanks in advance for any help.

-Elliott
ielliott

Postby Karlis » Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:47 pm

Make sure:

1) You have permissions to access the database remotely (usually on MySQL only localhost connections are allowed)

2) There is now firewall that would block connection.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby ielliott » Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:58 pm

Karlis,

Thanks for the quick reply.

The user I'm using to connect to MySQL can access the database using any host. I am at work right now, so a firewall may be preventing the connection through the specific port. I'll try from home tonight where I have control over my firewall and report back what I find.

Thanks again,
Elliott
ielliott

Postby Karlis » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:16 pm

We have tested this feature and it does work, so it must be a connection problem.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby ielliott » Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:13 am

I've got this setup on a computer with all firewalls disabled, and I'm still getting the same error. I've double checked to be sure the user I'm attempting to connect with is allowed to access through any host.

Does anyone else have any ideas on this one?

-Elliott
ielliott

Postby Karlis » Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:28 pm

ielliott, can you connect using some other MySQL client software? Are you sure the rights are granted to yourusername@youripaddress ?

By the way what error message do you receive (full text with any codes included)?
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby ielliott » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:40 pm

Hi Karlis,

I hadn't tried this before, but I tried connecting using MySQL GUI and could not connect. So, I did a bunch of hunting arround and found the following:

In your my.cnf file (typically in /etc) - you need to comment out the line that reads "skip-networking"

After doing this, I was allowed to connect using MySQL GUI with no problems.

However, now within Rapid, the error I recieve is:
SQL Error: Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client

My current MySQL version is 4.1.9 and I'm using the driver for 4.1+ (I also tried the 4.0 driver just in case)

Thanks again for your help.
-Elliott
ielliott

Postby HyrumR » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:53 pm

Hi,
I was also getting the same authentication error you are getting. What you need to do is set mysql to use the older method of password encryption.

mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR 'some_user'@'some_host' = OLD_PASSWORD('mypass');

Of course, the best solution would be to update the sql explorer so it understands the new password encryption routines, etc. but this works for me.
HyrumR

Postby ielliott » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:14 pm

Thanks HyrumR -

Yeah, I'd rather not use an older method of encryption.
It sounds like a newer MySql driver is needed.
ielliott

Postby Karlis » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:26 pm

MySQL connectivity is provided using MySQL driver dll file, so we can't help there. Hopefully, MySQL vendors will release updated drivers.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby phper » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:44 am

I was able to connect to a remote mysql database from RPHP. Didn't do anything special.. I had been using MySQL Query Browser to access it remotely.
phper

Postby Doctor49152 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:36 am

I use the free MySQL GUI available at http://www.webyog.com/sqlyog/

I just typed in my settings and was able to connect and do a whole whack of MySQL stuff. I use the exact same settings in WeBuilder and I get the Error.

I'd love to have the type of MySQL options that sqlyog gives me in WeBuilder .
Doctor49152

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Support