Image compression

Post your questions and problem reports here

Image compression

Postby BaronScarpia » Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:21 pm

Just began using the product and am very pleased with the purchase.

I wonder wheether I'm seeing the degree of image compression I should, and whether I should be using images in a different format.

I created a test screensaver using four images. They are in jpeg files, created in Photoshop using maximum compression quality setting ("12") in Baseline format. The total aggregate size of the image files is 13,544 bytes. When the scr file is created, however, it has a size of 13,100 bytes.

I anticipated a greater degree of compression. My understanding of the product is that the compression is done automatically and is out of the user's control.

Now, I could of course make the files smaller, but I would prefer not to trade away the image quality. Is there anything I can do in terms of the file format and file options I use when creating the image files to better leverage the compression algorithms being used in SSF 3? Since I have Photoshop, virtually any file format and other characterisitics are available to me.

Thanks for your help.
BaronScarpia

Postby Karlis » Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:17 pm

Indeed Screensaver Factory compresses images automatically without user interaction and without altering image quality.

To get the very best results I would suggest to use a sophisticated image editing tool, like Adobe Photoshop and save all images in JPEG format (try different compression levels). Such tools usually do a very good compression job and you can evaluate the quality instantly. Then you can use compressed images in Screensaver Factory without any quality loss.

Of course, this involves some more steps, but at the present moment it is the only way to get best results without noticeable image quality loss.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Thanks, Karlis

Postby Baronscarpia » Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:45 pm

As a test I took a 3MB photo image and saved it in Photoshop using compression settings from "12" (best quality/leat compression) down to a settting of "2" and added all of the files to a screensaver project. There no perceptible difference in displayed image quality. However, bringing the image file size down to 244KB will make a tremendous difference in what we can build and distribute.

Thanks for the suggestion...and for the great product!
Baronscarpia

Return to Screensaver Factory Support