Screensaver title vs. filename

Post your questions and problem reports here

Postby sfbaguy » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:30 am

I've made a screensaver for distribution by CD and I want the .EXE file to run automatically when the CD is inserted in the drive.

The AutoRun.inf file can't start a program with spaces in its filename but I want spaces in the title of the screensaver for Windows' Screen Saver dropdown list. But it looks like ScreenSaver Factory puts the filename in that dropdown instead of the title.

If I'm right about how it works now, would you please change it to use the title for the dropdown and not the filename?

Thank you!

John V.
sfbaguy

Postby Karlis » Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:05 pm

I'll see what can be done about this and return to you ASAP.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby Karlis » Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:38 am

Here are 2 possible workarounds:
1) In the autorun file, try inserting the filename/filepath between quotes? E.g. "My Super Saver.exe"
2) Try using DOS style filename/filepath E.g. MYSUPE~1.EXE

Does this help?

In the future versions we shall consider updating the functionality so that the title is used.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby sfbaguy » Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:52 am

I've tried many ways to make it work, including the two you suggested. Neither works.

What I have now is the AUTORUN.INF file starting a batch file, which starts the install program. But that method opens a DOS window (which seems unavoidable) that remains open until the install program loads. It works but it's a kludgy solution.

I'm confused about why the filename was used. Is there a technical reason that I'm unaware of? :?

Thank you for addressing this problem.

John
sfbaguy

Postby Karlis » Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:34 pm

Our developers are working on this issue, but it is not easy, since there are problems with getting Windows to display there anything else but the filename. This is being worked on.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby kitkatt7 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:13 am

was this ever resolved? I see that the latest info was dec 2004 and then nothing after that. Am curious as I just recently downloaded a trial version and am thinking / considering purchasing the full version.
katt
kitkatt7

Postby Karlis » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:59 am

This is not yet solved as we do not know how. Yet, most likely this could become available in the next major release in the middle of 2005.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Return to Screensaver Factory Support