Image resizing and compression for final exe!

Post your questions and problem reports here

Image resizing and compression for final exe!

Postby jensenholmes » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:14 pm

I downloaded a trial version of Screensaver Factory yesterday. I tried making a screensaver using 75 jpg images of travel scenery. When I built the exe it was 300MB! That's WAY too huge to share.

My camera is 10 megapixel so my images are huge. So I messed with the options. There's a "resize to fit screen" option which I checked. I also tried "resize only if image is too big" option. But these appear to only relate to displaying the image, not to compressing/resizing the images when creating the exe.

Am I missing something? Seems like the program should automatically resize my images to 1280x1024 for inclusion in the .exe -- and a quality setting control would be nice, too. I did try a test to manually resize my 75 images to 1280x1024 and the resultant .exe that Screensaver Factory made was 50MB. That's more like it! But I don't want to have to resize each image manually in the future.

Please tell me there's a way to do this with the program.
jensenholmes

Postby chrisjlocke » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:50 am

The program can't do that automatically, but there are freeware automatic resizers out there. I've written one, but haven't got a link to it on my website yet.

There are two 'compressions' you can do to get the filesize down. Resizing to 1280x1024 is one method, but .JPG files also allow for a level of compression too. A compression of about 10% gives noticeable filesize reduction without loss of quality.

I'll post a link to my thumbnail creator - should at least help a little bit.
chrisjlocke
Top Contributor

Postby chrisjlocke » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:22 pm

My thumbnail creator:
http://creapsoft.co.uk/thumbCrt

(resizes and compresses multiple images)
chrisjlocke
Top Contributor

Postby Karlis » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:43 pm

www.irfanview.com - very good and it has batch resize feature that can resize hundreds of files at once.

I'd recommend the standard size of 1024x768 if there are very many images.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Return to Screensaver Factory Support