Registration Question

Post your questions and problem reports here

Registration Question

Postby Scorpius » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:09 am

I just realized that user registration data is stored in HKCU only. Shouldn't this data be stored in HKLM also? Or some other common user area.

Because as it is, only the user who entered the registration key gets an unlocked screen saver. Every other user on the same machine will see a shareware saver until they each enter a reg key.

All the other info like effects, sound, etc is per user but the reg key seems to need to be common.
Scorpius

Postby Karlis » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:12 pm

The problem with this solution would be that it would not work under regular user account and it would not work under any user account under Windows Vista, because regular programs have no rights to store asnything under HKLM. If they want to do so, they must be run by user in Administrator mode and in this case Admin password must be entered to elevate the privileges.

Also according to the specification by Microsoft, programs should not store anything under HKLM unless they are deep system-wide utilities such as anti-virus.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby Scorpius » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:36 am

Ok, I understand. In order to use HKLM for the shareware key, the installer would have to change permissions for that registry key so all users could write to it. Perhaps overkill for a screen saver.

Maybe something to think about is storing the encrypted key to a file in common app data area or something similar.

I also want to thank you. I own the SSF enterprise and Webbuilder 2007 because your company actually answers its customers concerns!
Scorpius

Postby Karlis » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:26 pm

Thank you! We do answer all inquiries and try to do our best (we are 3 people on the staff right now). Not always it is possible to update/fix the product right away, though. Things that can not be done right away are registered and done as time/resources permits.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Return to Screensaver Factory Support