Seemless Looping

Post your questions and problem reports here

Seemless Looping

Postby forestwander » Mon May 12, 2008 5:22 pm

Hi,

I have been trying everything to get my screensavers to loop seemlessly.

I have converted from avi to wmv, mpg, mpeg, asf and then to swf and other multiple formats however the animated screensavers I make have a pause in them when they start over.

This is very important to my business, as the free nature screensavers I give away generates traffic to my site and I can't give away something that is substandard.

Please help! :(

ForestWander
http://www.ForestWander.com
Free Nature Photography and Nature ScreenSavers
forestwander

Re: Seemless Looping

Postby Karlis » Mon May 12, 2008 9:12 pm

Please contact our support and provide downloadable sample videos so that we can test this.

Thanks!
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby bitwise » Tue May 13, 2008 9:38 pm

I had the same problem with looping in a thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2554

I have a ton of savers with .wmv files and they all "jump" when they loop.

I hope there's a fix for this soon! :-)
bitwise

Postby forestwander » Wed May 14, 2008 5:00 pm

bitwise wrote:I had the same problem with looping in a thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2554

I have a ton of savers with .wmv files and they all "jump" when they loop.

I hope there's a fix for this soon! :-)

Hi Bitwise,

Have you found any type of work around for this?

One of the benefits of my nature screensavers is to give folks a relaxing experience.

When they have a pause it completely disrupts the tranquil quality of the screensaver. :mrgreen:

I have tried converting to several different formats and had success by chance one time with this screensaver.

It worked when I converted the avi to mpeg and then to swf and created the screensaver with the swf. But the quality of the video was substandard.

http://www.download.com/Animated-Snowy-Winter-Waterfall/3000-2385_4-10831711.html?tag=lst-2&cdlPid=10831712

I submitted an AVI video file to support yesterday, but have not heard back yet.
Free Nature Photography and Nature ScreenSavers
forestwander

Postby txc » Wed May 14, 2008 9:42 pm

I think I'm having this same sort of issue with just images. I'm using just the fade from left and once it's ready to begin drawing in the next image, there's a visible 'jump' which harms the seamlessness of the effect.
txc

Postby Karlis » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:50 pm

Due to specifics of video playback and limited capabilities of Windows built-in video playback features, it could be that some video files will flicker or stop for 0.1 to 0.3 secs. What you can do is try various video formats and see which one works best. Sometimes choosing different video format can solve the problem.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby bitwise » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:08 pm

Karlis,

My only question arises because of the following facts:

Why will my seemless, looping videos playback in Windows Media without jumping?

Why will my seemless, looping videos playback in other, inferior screensaver programs without jumping?

I really think there's something on your end that would resolve this. It just doesn't make sense that it would work in several other screensaver maker programs, but not yours, yet it'd be an issue of windows built-in video playback, or with the video itself. I know for a FACT it's not the video, that's for sure.

I really want to use .wmv because of it's small size, high quality, and no need of codecs on the end user's part.

Could you PLEEEEASE have this issue looked at in more detail? I really don't like offering my end users screensavers that have a jump in them every 20-30 seconds when the video's looping.

Thanks for considering!!!
bitwise

Postby Scorpius » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:41 am

I did some testing also, as I intend to create a looping video saver, and the problem lies with Screen saver factory

I have tested with a commercial video loop and the WMV & Mpeg-1 version exhibited a nasty jerk when looping. Another well known screen saver producer managed the loop correctly.

Another curious note. Divx Xvid and plain AVI looped smoothly, but to get them to display I had to rename them .wmv
Scorpius

Re: Seemless Looping - Screensaver Freezes

Postby doggled » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:12 am

We're having a similar problem as also reported in these topic:
http://forums.blumentals.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=495

It seems to freeze after a few minutes right at the loop. Here's what we found:

1. It appears like it doesn't happen on every machine. We haven't seen it on XP yet, just on Vista.

2. The screen freezes at the loop point. Only once has it frozen at a different point, and that point was extremely close to the loop with just the faintest image starting to appear after the loop.

3. Thereā€™s no problem with the memory usage. It stays constant at 1.62GB usage.

4. It seems like itā€™s may be dependent on what is going on with other programs. For instance, my impression is that:

- With no other programs running, it takes a long time for it to freeze
- With a few other programs, it freezes within a shorter period
- With my AV doing a scan of my machine, it freezes within a a few minutes.

5. I ran it with Task Manager going on the other screen and noticed that it doesnā€™t necessarily freeze when processor load is maxed out. For instance, just before I started writing this, it froze when processor load was at 43%.

Hope this helps in finding a problem to this problem. We'd be happy to send you the screensaver if it would help fix the issue.
doggled

Re: Screensaver freezes at loop point

Postby chrisjlocke » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:54 pm

doggled- You keep mentioning 'freezing' but just want to confirm. Do you mean freeze as in lockup and no response until you exit the program via Task Manager or similar, or do you simply mean 'pausing' ?

Do you get the same symptoms as in the first post you linked to - ie, just a blank screen and no further updates of images? This seems a different issue than simply pausing.
chrisjlocke
Top Contributor

Postby Karlis » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:49 pm

We will try to figure this out, but it can take several months.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Return to Screensaver Factory Support