Windows 2003 Terminal Server - Temp folder issue

Post your questions and problem reports here

Windows 2003 Terminal Server - Temp folder issue

Postby Jan » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:45 pm

Hello,

I'm an administrator on a corporate network with a Windows 2003 terminal server. We planed to use a screensaver which was created with 'screensaver factory 4.8' on that terminal server.

The problem is the following: Preview and double click on the file make the screensaver display properly.
But when the screensaver is activated automatically by the system, the screen goes black and doesn't display any picture.

We figured that the screensaver tries to write a temporary *.jpg file to c:\winnt\temp.
That path is not available to our users. We are using standard %temp% directories provided by windows 2003, i.e.:
C:\WINNT\Profiles\%username%\Local Settings\Temp (or short form: C:\winnt\Profiles\%username%\LOCALS~1\Temp)

Is there a way to make the screensaver use the system variable %temp% for saving/extracting the the temporary files?

How can I get the screensaver running, without granting permissions to the user in the 'c:\winnt\temp' folder ?

Thank you for your help in advance,
Jan

p.s.: Sorry for my spelling - English is not my native language :-)
Jan

Re: Windows 2003 Terminal Server - Temp folder issue

Postby Karlis » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:24 pm

Actually the screensavers created by Screensaver Factory do use folder path returned by GetTempPath Windows API function.

According to Microsoft: The GetTempPath function checks for the existence of environment variables in the following order and uses the first path found:
1) The path specified by the TMP environment variable.
2) The path specified by the TEMP environment variable.
3) The path specified by the USERPROFILE environment variable.
4) The Windows directory.

Is there any way for you to check where exactly the screensaver tries to write the file? Are you sure it is c:\winnt\temp ? And are you sure it is screensaver created with version 4.8, not some 4.3 or so. We did have problems in the past but they have been fixed long time ago.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Return to Screensaver Factory Support