update feature doesn't work on reinstall

Post your questions and problem reports here

update feature doesn't work on reinstall

Postby rguthrie » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:52 pm

Hello,

If I create an installation exe or scr and install the screensaver, updates work. However, if the remove the screensaver and delete the following folder: C:\Documents and Settings\<User>\Application Data\Screensaver Factory\<NameOfScreenSaver> to remove any downloaded image updates, then reinstall the screensaver, updates no longer work. Now, if I open the saved project and simply create the screensaver again, and then reinstall, updates begin working again.

Thanks.
rguthrie

Re: update feature doesn't work on reinstall

Postby rguthrie » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:38 pm

Hello,

This error only occurs when RSS feeds are enabled. I've even tried two completely different websites.

Thanks.
rguthrie

Re: update feature doesn't work on reinstall

Postby Karlis » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:24 pm

If you manually delete that folder you must also manually delete the following registry key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Screensaver Factory\<Screen Saver Name>\Updates

It is recommened to use the screensaver installer and not remove any part manually.

While testing this, I found out that indeed on some occasions if *both* RSS and Auto Updates are enabled, a crash is possible, but it happens only very rarely and only once on any given computer. We will investigate and once solution is found will release the fix in the next scheduled update.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Return to Screensaver Factory Support