CPU usage high / graphic card fan

Post your questions and problem reports here

CPU usage high / graphic card fan

Postby cionow777 » Mon May 14, 2012 3:52 pm

I am evaluating the Screensaver Factory product and I like the product. During my evaluation, I have noticed that my graphics card fan kicks on anytime the screensave I developed turns on. It does not do this for any other screensaver I have installed. Since this is a high performance workstation, the card generates a lot of heat and noise when the fan turns on. Is there something I need to do to prevent this from happening?

Alienware M15X
Intel Core i7
Q720 @1.6 GHz
8GB RAM
64 Bit O/S
NVIDIA GeoForce GTX 260M

Thanks,
cionow777

Re: CPU usage high / graphic card fan

Postby Aivars » Tue May 15, 2012 9:51 am

You can try creating screensavers without animations (that includes clock and calendar), turn off slide & zoom and if that doesn't help then turn off transition effects completely. Normally you would get high CPU/GPU load only during the short periods of transitions which is not enough to start fans, however your computer might be doing something clever like predicting high load and turning the fans on preventively.
Blumentals Software Programmer
Aivars
Blumentals Software Developer

Postby cionow777 » Tue May 15, 2012 4:27 pm

I created the Screensaver w/o the clock - that did not improve the situation.

I created the Screensaver w/o any transitions - that DID improve the situation. The CPU / Fan did not increase or come on. Of course, that really isn't desirable, since the transitions are 1/2 the reason to have the screensaver, but at least we know what is causing it.
cionow777

Postby cionow777 » Tue May 15, 2012 5:34 pm

I added a simple fade to black transition (only this one), and the CPU and Fan kick back on. Is there a trick to making this less CPU / GPU intensive that I am missing?

Thanks,
cionow777

Postby Aivars » Tue May 15, 2012 6:45 pm

I don't think there are. I'm not sure why your computer starts the fan, since the bursts of CPU/GPU use are short, but there are no hidden options to make the screensaver less intensive in this version.
Blumentals Software Programmer
Aivars
Blumentals Software Developer

Postby cionow777 » Wed May 16, 2012 2:44 pm

Appears to happen if any transition is selected. Also appears to be related to the fact that I have high-resolution graphics pictures and I have selected the option to display the picture as-is, without modification. When I allow Screensaver to resize them when creating a distro package, it seems better behaved.
cionow777

Postby peleus » Sat May 19, 2012 8:06 pm

From what I know, CPU fan are triggered by temperature. Maybe the process triggers a quick increase on the temperature.
PHP newbie Image
peleus

Return to Screensaver Factory Support