Basic questions about building screensavers

Post your questions and problem reports here

Basic questions about building screensavers

Postby janlaiho » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:20 am

Hello,

I've never made screensavers before. Upon a client request, I'm making a video screensaver for them from a video file that I make in another software (After Effects). The client asks me whether password protection and other such settings will be implemented in my screensaver file. But, is it not so that the screensaver file (.scr) is basically just an animation (with some specific information added, such that the file is in fact a screensaver), and settings that have to do with requiring a password once the screensaver is stopped and whether the screensaver is forced on a group of users etc. have nothing to do with the scr-file, but they are settings that system admin needs to adjust somewhere in the system.

So basically the question is: if I make a video file and convert that into a screensaver file and deliver that to the client as an .scr file, then how and when that screensaver behaves in their system is not up to me, but they need to provision (I guess that's the correct word) the screensaver in their system, and define settings about password, time-outs, etc.?

Cheers
Janne
janlaiho

Re: Basic questions about building screensavers

Postby Aivars » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:02 pm

That's correct - back in days of Windows 95/98 the password would be asked by screensaver, but those times are long gone. Now, to enable password protection, use "On resume, display logon screen" setting in Windows screen saver settings
Blumentals Software Programmer
Aivars
Blumentals Software Developer

Return to Screensaver Factory Support