Help with how to "Building screensavers from command line"?

Post your questions and problem reports here

Help with how to "Building screensavers from command line"?

Postby cipsi » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:59 am

Hi can yawl please help me with understanding how to do this "Build screensavers from command line" :?:

Could yawl please make a video that shows how to do this :?:

Compiling screen savers automatically
I have read this and I just don't get it. :?

Overview
To produce a screensaver file or setup package automatically, I need to:
Generate a valid screensaver project file in XML format :?
Run the Screensaver Factory with appropriate command line switches :?
Following chapters describe how to implement both of the steps.

Creating a valid screensaver project file
Screensaver Factory project files are actually XML files of specific format. To learn the structure of project files, simply create a screensaver project file and open it in a text editor. Please note that the format is very strict, so the best way of generating valid screensaver project files is to base them on an actual file that has been created by Screensaver Factory. Currently there is no specification, so you will have to learn by experimenting.

Running Screensaver Factory from command line :? I don't know how to do this. :?
To produce a screensaver file or setup package automatically, run Screensaver Factory from command line with either -mkscr or -mksetup switch followed by full path to the screensaver project file enclosed in double quotes.

To produce SCR file: I am :?

c:\Screensaver Factory\scrfact.exe -mkscr "c:\projects\myproject.sfp"
To produce setup package: I am :?

c:\Screensaver Factory\scrfact.exe -mksetup "c:\projects\myproject.sfp"
You must make sure that the project file contains no errors, otherwise the Screensaver Factory will stop with an error message.
cipsi

Re: Help with how to "Building screensavers from command lin

Postby Aivars » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:51 am

If you don't understand command line then you probably don't need this functionality. It is required for special advanced cases only, like automatic screensaver creation.

P.S. What's yawl?
Blumentals Software Programmer
Aivars
Blumentals Software Developer

Postby cipsi » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:05 pm

Aivars wrote:If you don't understand command line then you probably don't need this functionality. It is required for special advanced cases only, like automatic screensaver creation.

P.S. What's yawl?
That is my way of saying "you all" as saying you'll dos not sound right to me. Also I am just a bad speller.
And I am trying to figure out how to do the automatic updates more so than for the use of the automatic screensaver creation.
Knowing how to do both would be nice, but I mostly want to know how to do the automatic updates.
cipsi

Postby Aivars » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:52 pm

You can read about autoupdates in Help: Creating screensavers -> Developer features -> Enable auto updates & Auto update data format. The whole thing is quite developer-ish though, so if you're not prepared to deal with writing XML by hand (which isn't as bad as it sounds) then you might be a bit intimidated. We don't have a video unfortunately so your best option is to read carefully and try to create your own version by sample.
Blumentals Software Programmer
Aivars
Blumentals Software Developer

Return to Screensaver Factory Support