MacOS support

Let us know what you would like to see in the next version of Easy Button & Menu Maker

MacOS support

Postby albo » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:53 am

Oh, groan, I know I am harping on a sore point, and you are likely VERY tired of hearing it, but...

I will strain your patience, one more time! I just today received your announcement of buttonmenumaker. I'm a long-time user of WeBuilder, and would be sorely tempted to fetch a copy of buttenmenumaker but for one thing:

I'm about to "cut the cord," eliminating my "Microsoft addiction" by buying a Macbook Pro for website development. I was sorely tempted to fetch Parallels and run Windows JUST so I could run WeBuilder on the Mac, but I suppose I'll just hop over to the Windows PC now and then, to use WeBuilder.

I long for MacOS support for all your wonderful software!
albo

Postby jtek » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:15 pm

I wish to chime in and add support to your request. Great minds do think a like as I am a web developer and am seriously looking at moving to a Macbook Pro for similar reasons. For some reason, I thought Blumentals Software offerings did support the Mac OS, but a quick trip to the site showed me that is not the case. I never have had an application hold me back from migrating to a new system, but WeBuilder has become an essential tool in my arsenal.

Of course, with the latest release - Leopard - you can run both Mac and Windows (32 bit) applications on an Apple computer system thanks to a new feature called Bootcamp. The hitch is you need to have an installable version of Windows XP or Vista (not the OEM versions) to do this. So, you can migrate to a Mac, and still have access to those Windows only applications we can't live without - WeBuilder being at the top of my list.

Karlis - you have always provided excellent support and software. What is your current position on Mac OSX support?
jtek

Yep, I've already scooted over to a new Macbook Pro

Postby albo » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:40 pm

Fine machine, IMHO

Got me running back over to the ol' HP to use WeBuilder frequently...BBedit on the Mac just isn't the same, and I don't really care to buy and run a copy of Windows because, after all, cutting the cord from Microsoft is what I'm trying to do.
albo

Postby jtek » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:21 am

Hello again - yes, that is a good point and one I am attempting to achieve as well. For me, though, I am realizing that a clean break may not be possible. :(

I currently have a Dell laptop - I had considered going to a desktop Mac, but like the versatility a laptop provides. I, too, have not been impressed with what I have seen available (meaning affordable) with regards to Web Development tools in an attempt to find something comparable to WeBuilder. Alas, the only thing I see is Dreamweaver. :shock:

Thanks for the feedback as I know people who own Macs, but none have a laptop. I have heard they are really nice and considering my Dell has had the motherboard replaced two times now (going on three), something with more dependability and stability would be a welcome change.

My hope is that Karlis will add support for the Mac OS. Once I have finished getting my degree (Software Architecture), I may be able to assist him in porting it over. Of course, I have a few years to go. :oops:
jtek

Re: MacOS support

Postby Karlis » Thu May 22, 2008 3:42 pm

If somebody would guarantee that we would have at least half as many MacOS customers as we do have Windows customers we would consider MacOS development, however at the present moment it looks that development costs are too high (everything needs to be built from ground up, hardware and software is required, skills are required etc...) while there is no guarantee that there will be enough customers. Remember MacOS is used only by 2-4% of the computer users.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby albo » Thu May 22, 2008 4:30 pm

I don''t know how any ONE person can guarantee it, Karlis. You might take a poll, I suppose. PC Magazine and arstechnica.com have suggested a market share somewhat larger than you're thinking (as much as 20%) ...but it's speculation by ANYONE!

I, myself, have "cut the cord" from Microsoft and am now developing websites on a Mac. I use my HP and my IBM laptops only for cross-browser testing purposes. Thus, I'm no longer maintaining my copy of WeBuilder.

As for the Mac, I have not purchased any software that enables running of Windows applications thereon, as I have been able to find an abundance of software to serve all my purposes. Only IE is lacking. For website (HTML, CSS, javascript, PHP, and other languages...) editing, I have converted to BBedit.

I miss WeBuilder, yes. But, I think I am not willing to purchase CrossoverMac to run it, and WeBuilder isn't listed in CrossoverMac's supported set, either.

I think MacOSX is a system to USE, and Linux is a system to DIDDLE, and Windows is a system to MAINTAIN, so it's really a matter of taste. No one system is really BETTER: it's a matter of taste, but I think MacOSX usage is definitely growing.

So, if you take a poll, you may count 1 Mac user.
albo

Postby Karlis » Thu May 22, 2008 7:35 pm

Why not have Windows and some good virtual machine software with desktop-to-desktop drag and drop support and support for shared drives?
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby albo » Thu May 22, 2008 9:26 pm

the only things for which I would use Windows on the Mac are (1) WeBuilder of course, and (2) IE, so I decided not to go to the expense of (1) virtualization software (such as Parallels) and (2) a copy of Windows
albo

Return to Easy Button & Menu Maker Feature Requests