CSS Div layout generator builder

Here you can share ideas about new products that Blumentals Software could create

CSS Div layout generator builder

Postby netrover » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:13 pm

Maybe a utility that works in the same way as the table wizards but for rapidly generating css div based layouts.

I don't think there is anything else like this and would be a good asset to the button and menu maker type people. :-)

It's so time consuming trying to do new layouts comared to table wizards.

Andy
netrover

Re: CSS Div layout generator builder

Postby chrisjlocke » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:30 am

Could you expand on this? You mean it would create the "<div class="xyx"></div>" stuff for you? Couldn't you use snippets for that?
chrisjlocke
Top Contributor

Postby netrover » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:30 pm

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Basically a visual way of drawing a css tabless layout. I know there are loads of free layouts on the web but they don't always suit the needs of your project.

Basically, you could visually just draw your content areas, header, footer, columns, navigation or adsense,advertising blocks etc.

Click a button and you have a complete css layout ready for content and images.

Gotta be quicker than doing it manually or hunting around for other peoples work. :)
netrover

Postby gangotri » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:24 am

Where can i get good custom css for subeta? the only one i know of is subeta hq but there are only 2 different layouts and i want more of a variety.
gangotri

Postby Lisa » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:39 pm

Actually I think this is a great idea. I recently ran across a tool called "Website Layout Maker" by SmileMelon that does just that. You put in your blocks where you want and it generates the code for you. It's not a very "pretty" tool and the code isn't the cleanest but it works fast.

I am 1st a graphic designer and 2nd a web developer. It is much easier for me to visually see things instead of just putting in the code. Frankly I find it surprising that there aren't any WYSIWYG editors out there that do this. Also, besides Sitegrider, it would be nice to have an image slicing tool that outputs the code in CSS instead of tables. Even if the code isn't as clean as writing it from scratch, it would be a great starting point to have these two tools.

Just my 2 cents.
Last edited by Lisa on Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lisa

Postby netrover » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:12 pm

Hi Lisa, thanks for the info.

I have the same background as you which is probably why we both share this interest.

I'll have a look at the tool you suggested.

I'm happy with my basic html skills using webuilder but it would just be nice to wizard the css layouts.

have a good weekend, Andy
netrover

Postby PARoss » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:11 pm

PARoss

Postby Lisa » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:46 pm

Yes, there are tons of online CSS Generators/Tools but there aren't many software tools that are as simplistic. There are also several Dreamweaver plugins and/or script i.e., CSS Sculptor is one, but then you are tied to using Dreamweaver. What about Designers that do not use Dreamweaver, like those that use WeBuilder and others. It would be nice to have a software tools where you can visually drop in column divs where you want them without everything being absolute positioned.
Lisa

Postby PARoss » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:25 pm

Lisa,

I am 1st a graphic designer and 2nd a web developer

My experience with ad agencies (not saying you are one or work for one) is that web design is done in the graphics department. The prime goal is to get it to "look" right/good/whatever. Then a code "technician" is brought in to "make it work." This paradigm began when the web was new and websites were built with tables. The table formed a grid and the "design" could be applied to it.

But with CSS a whole new approach is required because of the fluidity of web design and architecture. Sometimes the structure of the code can be more "important" to the performance of the site than its "looks." The whole "table" approach should be scrapped because it ranks the "design" as more important than the "content." But on the Internet content is king. So, design needs to work around content, not the other way around.

Again, I'm not saying that you or anyone here is doing this. I'm just saying that CSS requires a complete change of approach to web design. Nothing substitutes for knowing how CSS works.

But I also use templates because they will have handled some of the basic browser differences that can drive a designer nutz. There are various templates available. I prefer the simpler ones, like http://blog.html.it/layoutgala/. There you have a variety of styles around which to apply your design.

Phil
PARoss

Postby tcarnevale » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:34 am

tcarnevale

Postby cdsaenz » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:28 pm

I am resurrecting this thread because I think the need still exists. I'd really prefer to have this as a "builder", wizard or add-on within Rapid PHP rather than buying some other software, though i'm looking into your suggestions above. Thanks.
cdsaenz

Postby aaaa78101 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:11 am

DOCTYPE:
CSS Reset:
Layout width:
Fixed Liquid
Header:
Specify height
Sidebars:
1 sidebar 2 sidebars No sidebars
Footer:
Specify height
Additional options:
Keep the footer at the bottom of browser window Emulate equal height columns Neither

for more information : just check this link u have a new idea

http://csslayoutgenerator.com/ :)
aaaa78101

Postby mariahcarey » Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:22 am

chrisjlocke wrote:Could you expand on this? You mean it would create the "<div class="xyx"></div>" stuff for you? Couldn't you use snippets for that?wordle

Where can I get good custom CSS for beta?
mariahcarey

Postby chrisjlocke » Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:31 am

Wow - congratulations on digging up a fourteen-year old post!
chrisjlocke
Top Contributor

Return to New Product Ideas