How did you find out about Blumentals Software?

Discuss general web development questions. Help others and get help from others.

Moderator: kfury77

Total votes : 0

Postby Karlis » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:07 pm

Share your story! How did you get here?
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Re: How did you find out about Blumentals Software?

Postby Rotkaeqpchen » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:23 am

I've been on my journey to find the perfect IDE that fits for my needs. I'm not a big big programmer, so i don't need Zend or Eclipse. But i need an intelligent multi-talent IDE that handles CSS (inkl. Preview), and editing PHP and HTML. Best feature: definded classes and id's in css can be selected in html code by code-completion, making my life much easier.

I'm waiting for WeBuilder 2010, Karlis i hope there will be more themes, Smarty support and clean file-type association.

Thanks for a great IDE that is not too expensive!

By the way, i tried phpDesigner, TSWebCoder and others. THIS one is the best!

Greetings from Germany...
Rotkaeqpchen

Postby MikeyB » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:04 am

Much the same as above.
Did many searches on Google looking for & trying all sorts of editors, but none of them did all the functions or even the languages I needed.

Problem was most other editors don't have ASP syntax highlighting, which is what 90% of what we do here is, also got some old Perl stuff around.
WeBuilder fitted my needs, true there are some odd things it does, but overall it's the best one I've tried.
MikeyB
Top Contributor

Postby mwb1100 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:02 pm

Via a mention in the late, lamented "The Daily Grind" (http://www.larkware.com/index.html).
mwb1100

Postby Karlis » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:09 am

MikeyB wrote:Problem was most other editors don't have ASP syntax highlighting, which is what 90% of what we do here is, also got some old Perl stuff around.

Huh ... still coding the good old classic ASP? I remember at one time we wanted to develop an ASP editor, but then came .NET and the plan faded.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby Rotkaeqpchen » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:40 am

Karlis, can you give us any information about the Roadmap fĆ¼r 2010?
Rotkaeqpchen

Postby syrupcore » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:03 am

been so long I can't even remember at this point. prolly through google searching.
syrupcore
Top Contributor

Postby kfury77 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:40 pm

PC Pro (UK) magazine. They gave away a limited version of HTMLpad along time ago... and after using it for about 5 minutes I quickly paid for the upgrade to the latest version. Never looked back...
kfury77

Postby ajmaske » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:55 pm

After 15+ years of doing Win32 development in an IDE (Delphi); I was making a transition into web development and of course needed a suitable editor. While searching on the net for editors I came across a rather biased write up someone had done on a list of editors, the only use I got from it was the actual list it self as for the content not worth mentioning...

The choice came down to two editors with WeBuilder being one of them... and so here I am... WeBuilder has by far met and exceeded every need/requirement I've had. The product and support to me are synonymous... and I'm looking forward to the next major release!
Anthony
ajmaske

Postby CaliforniaJerry » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:03 pm

A friend of mine was telling me about Rapid CSS. She likes the preview of her CSS code. I was looking for an alternative Development Environment, and found your product comparison matrix, which includes WeBuilder. I've added some of my suggestions for additional features and fixes, and I'm looking forward to the next version, WeBuilder 2010. I also appreciate the community forum and the responsive support you provide. I value the syntax highlighting, matching element tags, preference control, project management, search tools, floating frames, and more.
CaliforniaJerry

Postby johnradams » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:11 am

I've been using HomeSite for well over 10 years. Was looking around the HomeSite forums, and found myself among the folks who are sad to see that Adobe has abandoned HomeSite. Someone (on the forum) mentioned WeBuilder as a possible replacement. I'm still evaluating, but will likely license WB soon.

Suggest that you try and get some visibility with the HomeSite crowd (search keywords?!?). I'm finding WB a good choice for someone looking to get onto a current/supported/quality code editor.

Keep up the good work!
johnradams

Postby Glassangel » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:11 pm

I am a long time Homesite user and have been looking for a replacement for the abandoned Homesite. Someone on the Homesite forum has listed your Webuilder as a possible replacement and I am thrilled they did. Great product! I believe that you will be getting a lot of Homesite users. If they try it they will buy it.
Glassangel

Postby garethjmsaunders » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:09 am

I'd been using 1st Page 2000 from Evrsoft since about 1999, but around 2005 I was getting more and more frustrated that it wasn't being updated and was falling way behind in terms of web standards. So I went looking for something to replace it. I searched Google for HTML editor.

At the time I couldn't afford Dreamweaver so that was a non-starter (I now own Adobe Dreamweaver CS4 but to be honest even now I use WeBuilder about 99% of the time). I checked out quite a few editors including Eclipse, UltraEdit, Notepad++ but none of them offered what I was looking for. I wanted a stable IDE that gave me code syntax highlighting, customizable colours and keyboard shortcuts, code snippets and project management and all for a good price. As I recall I downloaded a trial of WeBuilder 2005 (6.3) and had purchased the full version within a couple of hours. I've stuck with WeBuilder ever since.

Since then, whenever a new version has been released I've upgraded: WeBuilder 2005, 2006, 2007 and now 2010. Currently two other colleagues at the University of St Andrews use it, as one of a number of code editors they use.

I do keep looking at other editors, just to see what's out there. I currently have WeBuilder 2010, Aptana 2.x and Dreamweaver CS4 installed. I really like Aptana's code-suggestion and completion for jQuery, which is why I use it. Dreamweaver is great for updating navigation in large sites because if you rename a file then it will trawl through the rest of the site automatically and update links to that file wherever it appears. But, as I said, I use WeBuilder as my mainstay HTML, CSS, JavaScript, XML and PHP editor. It rocks!
garethjmsaunders

Postby cornishman » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:50 pm

Very simple, I had been using UltraEdit for a couple of years, and a coding friend, whilst visiting at my Home, saw this and recommended RapidPHP, and showed me a few of the features, haven't looked back :D
cornishman

Postby nambinar » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:17 am

Via Google
nambinar

Next

Return to Web Developer Talk