Who's a gambler these days? Security ISSUE!

Post your questions and problem reports here.

Who's a gambler these days? Security ISSUE!

Postby ipster » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:23 am

So I'm still struggling with my Web editor and the Menu insertion. I'm using Sharepoint Designer 2007, and/or Frontpage.
the website is .css / ASP.NET.
The menu wont install or be recognized as an external .css requiring me to link each page manually, or
what I should say is install the menus on each page- by- page...not the entire website...won't work.

HERE"S the Big deal....I'm wasting my time it seems. The program IS NOT COMPATIBLE with IE8, period.
Even with IE 7, it pops up more then the typical Active-X warning...
Instead of simply getting this website is running an active=X add on do you trust the site to run this add-on? (Y/N)

The first time you open my site with the menu attached You get the far more daunting:
"Internet Explorer ristricted active content Why has Internet Explorer ristricted active content?
Internet Explorer restricts this content because occasionally these programs can malfunction or give you content you don't want. In some cases, these programs can be used to collect information about you, damage information on your computer, install software without your consent, or allow someone else to control your computer remotely. Given these risks, you should only allow active content if you completely trust the publisher or the website it's coming from."
"How can I allow active content?"
"if Internet Explorer restricts active content that you are sure you want to allow, click ALLOW BLOCKED CONTENT"

then after clicking "ALLOW BLOCKED CONTENT"...the NEXT WARNING pops UP:

"Allowing active content such as Active-X controls can be useful,
However, active content might also harm your computer.
Are you sure you want to let this file run active content?"

I have Pop ups blocked on all sites except a VPN I use for work...
I cant imagine in my RIGHT MIND, who when visiting my website for the first time, will be brave enough to pass through
BOTH OF THESE DAUNTING WARNINGS!

I'm very dissapointed..prior to buying the software, I hadn't attempted to publish any menus int he test version, or I
might have seen this.
I also personally NEVER use IE (any version) except in design functions or the VPN..I use OPERA on a day to day..
the menu doesn't display right inOPERA 9 either, and in Opera 10 Beta...worse yet.
Truth be told IE is enormously popular, and the majority of my website visitors are first timers, and not high level
computertics so little things scare them away...I am certainly not "Microsoft", or a large publisher that the average
joe shmoe thinks trutworthy...and this will FLAT OUT KILL MY TRAFFIC! :twisted:
So I've waisted an enormous amount of time it seems.
Is there any plan to work out these vunerabilities in the future?
It seems my best bet now is to uninstall the app.
ipster

Re: Who's a gambler these days? Security ISSUE!

Postby MikeyB » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:05 am

Do you get this when you have uploaded your site to your webserver, or only while testing locally?

I've only ever seen that in IE while tetsing locally, as soon as I upload to my webserver IE behaves differently and allows the content.

To be honest I've found lots of things that don't work in IE8, and have to add code to your page to put IE8 into comparability mode, even Microsoft do this on a lot of their own websites to get them to work in IE8.
To do this put this line after your <head> tag:
Code: Select all
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=7" />

Cheers,
Mike
MikeyB
Top Contributor

Postby ipster » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:52 am

Just the opposite
I only get it after uploaded, and viewed from IE 8
locally, in my editors..I'm alright...(why I didn't notice it with test trial version)
and only after loaded, tweeked, and working. Bummed. Lots of hours.
ipster

Postby ipster » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:54 am

BTW- you may have more advanced editor showing warnings.
I'm Sharepoint designer, Frontpage...so both are a few years old now (2007)
ipster

Postby ipster » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:15 am

I've spoken to 2 web developers today, both said typically the software developer will provide a "work around"
as soon as they've identified the bugs with the new IE browser versions.
Both also agreed: even 1 Warning will Kill traffic.
Forget 2
They've gone somewhere else.
Thanks
ipster
ipster

Postby Karlis » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:16 pm

This must be related either to your own code or to the specifics of your website (e.g. non-standard port used or something like that), or it might have been related to your particular IE configuration. There ActiveX warning is shown only when the page is trying to load some files locally or of the IE is configured to do so specifically or if the URL is added to one of the special security zones.

Thousands of our users use menus created with Easy Button & Menu Maker and no problems, we would be overwhelmed with requests if this was a common issue.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby wmtipton » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:17 am

Just downloaded the program last night, added new menus to two websites and not a single issue with IE8 so far on two different PC's here.
:)
wmtipton

Postby whatmeworry » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:55 pm

I have checked my IE8 security settings and all internet options settings are at default. I don't have the same problems as you either with IE8, Firefox 6.13, Avant or Safari. I think you must be doing something wrong. Take a look here http://www.geta-website.co.uk/supervision - if you have a security problem with IE8 on this site - it's you. Best of luck.
P.S. The only problem I have with this type of tab menu is that there doesn't seem to be any way you can have an ' on page ' style (or colour) to show which page you're on. So if anyone has any ideas i'd be grateful.

I've just read the full extent of your post and I'm afraid I can't help commenting............Why didn't you try something with the free version ????

And why didn't you shop around before you bought ? Allwebmenus Pro 5 is far better than Bluementals.....only kidding !!!
whatmeworry

Postby bleau » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:45 pm

I've got piles of BM menus working in the net and the only problems I've ever had with it was something I was doing wrong.
Always download the trial versions of any software and make sure "you" can make it work for "you" before you purchase it.

whatmeworry , you mean there's another menu program out there other than BM? I didn't know that :lol:
bleau

Return to Easy Button & Menu Maker Support